Ideas to improve Custom Fields feature

Can we get a way to filter calendar view by Custom Field (if the custom field is a drop down). That way I can see all the things scheduled for blogs, facebook, linkedin etc. in my content calendar. Can we also get the functionality in the custom field drop down to multi-select? right now I am creating separate “projects” for each content type as a work around so I can see in calendar view what is happening in each of my channels at any given moment.

1 Like

+1 vote for the “date” custom field format!

We’re finding ourselves using the drop down type field more and more. But the 50 limit has been once or twice restrictive especially if we use the field as a “Vendor” or “Customer” name field. It would be wonderful if the limit could be increased on this field from 50 to 100+

Hi @Michael_B, thanks for sharing this feedback! :clap: We already have a post on this topic. I have gone ahead and merged your post with Ideas to improve Custom Fields feature to centralize feedback. Please let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if Asana engineering is reviewing this? These are all great ideas. Are we all just talking in the dark? The forums seem to have lost actionable thunder in general.

“Excel like functions” for custom fields (like a sum of numbered fields) would be ah-mazing!

3 Likes

I want to second the radio buttons and checkboxes!

We’re really enjoying the custom fields feature however have hit a bit of a blockage with the number of rows allowed per row. We keep running out of space and having to create multiple fields to split the lists out. Would love if this capacity could be increased please.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us @Alana_Thomas!

We already have a thread regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to consolidate feedback and votes. I hope it’s OK!

2 Likes

@Ray_Vellest spelled out all the concerns I have in a clear way. You got my vote!

Hi everyone!

Have you felt that a custom field of a recurring task should be autocleared when the task is completed, so the new task has the desired custom filed

I think this feature could improve a workflow automation in Asana, at least in my company. What do you think?

Agreed!

Merging this post with Ideas to improve Custom Fields feature :slight_smile:

We want to group custom text fields similarly to how drop downs are grouped - wherein the groups are divided by a bold header between each group.
The limit to max 50 drop down options is why we need to use the open text - which we enter the client acronym in, sort by and execute against the Asana cards in our backlog. Now that our client list is over 50 (and growing) - we can’t use the drop down and lost the ability to group by this field.
We will likely not be your only customer that needs something like this accomplished - and it seems like an easy fix.

Welcome to the Forum @marlo and thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us!

I’m merging your post with an existing thread regarding Custom Fields. I hope it’s OK.

Have a great day!

Sounds great thanks!

1 Like

I echo the request for a ‘date’ selection feature in custom fields. My team needs the ability to select a date from a calendar (similar to the way you select the ‘due date’ for a task), but it’s not for the task due date; it’s for other trackable dates related to the task (i.e. when a proposal was submitted, when we received the final version, when the product was delivered, etc.). All these dates need to be tracked in custom fields connected to a task.
My team hopes Asana will broaden the options for custom fields to include date selection. Thank you!

Happy Friday everybody :wave:

Thank you all for for submitting and supporting all these great ideas to improve custom fields.

As some of the requests submitted here have already been addressed (Custom Fields in Subtasks, Ability to sort by Custom Field, Sum value fields, Custom field currency type etc.) and in order to better understand what matters the most to you going forward, we have decided to split this main thread into different sub-threads. I’ve listed them below and I would highly recommend you to cast your vote on the ones you consider most valuable for your workflow.

Please note I’m closing this main thread, but rest ensure we will consider all votes and comments submitted here a of our next Voice of Customer report!

Have a great weekend!! :raised_hands:t5:

Hi folks, I just wanted to share that starting tomorrow we’re rolling out an update increasing the number of custom field drop-down option from 50 to 100 :tada:

2 Likes