Recurring tasks with blank custom fields value

Hello,

I am looking for a way to create recurring tasks with default blank values for custom fields on a weekly basis. Right now, the recurring task is getting created based on the values of the most recently completed tasks. My use case is below:

Each week I have a task with 4 custom fields that a user can fill out if necessary. If they do not fill out any of the fields that is completely okay and a default value is used in the backend However, if they do fill out a custom field then it should only be captured in the current weekā€™s task.Once they complete the current week task, then the new recurring task should be appear with blank values for custom fields.

However, right now it looks like Asana is just copying the old task with the old values in the custom fields filled in for the new task. How do I make it so that the custom fields for the new recurring task is set to blank as default?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Jon7

I donā€™t believe that is possible but agree it would be great if reoccurring tasks had the option to either keep the selected value or set it back to blank.

@Marie, @Cathya can this be moved to Product Feedbackā€¦

Jason.

1 Like

All done @Jason_Woods, thanks for reaching out!

@Jon7, Iā€™ve also slightly modify the title of this thread to better reflect your feedback; hope you donā€™t mind!

2 Likes

Hello,

I have a similar problem: my tasks are using the ā€œprogressā€ field, with rules to reflect task status when task is completed. These are the rules provided with the ā€œpremiumā€ level: set task completed when progress is set to ā€œterminatedā€, and set progress to ā€œterminatedā€ when task is completed.

When completed the new task has its progress value set to ā€œTerminatedā€ instead of ā€œnot startedā€ or just blank as we would expect for any new task.

Could you tell us what is the current status of this issue?
Thanks!

Dear @Marie I am facing the same issue and I am sure many other people face it as well. Was there any initiative to resolve this issue ? In my case the recurrent task sometimes keeps the ā€œnew custom field valueā€ and sometimes it stays ā€œBlankā€ as it should be. What I tried is to add some rules that basically do as follows:

If task is added to this project + (another trigger) If any task is added to a section (default section where tasks replicate themselves after completition) ā†’ set Category (-)

2 Likes

I have recurring tasks that occur monthly. I have a field called ā€˜statusā€™. Is there a way to have this field clear every time a new task is generated. Kind of pointless to have a new recurring task have the same Completed status as the old one.

2 Likes

Hi @Cheryl_Cooke, welcome to the Asana Community forum :wave:t2:

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

iā€™m looking forward that update!!!

One of the more frustrating things about recurring tasks is that the values inputted for custom fields copy over to the new task. While I could see a use case for that, if youā€™re using the task for capturing values that might change, it becomes an annoyance and often leads to people forgetting to update values before the new task is updated and/or completed. Similarly, attachments often copy over as well and may not be relevant to the new task.

Iā€™d propose an option (check box?) when marking a task to be recurring if you want custom fields to be cleared out, same for attachments.

Alternatively, it would be nice if it was possible to reference custom fields via workflow actions to wipe their values. As of right now, you can only do this with picklist fields, not text or numerical fields. This way a recurring task could trigger the custom fields to be wiped upon creation.

FYI Flowsanaā€™s update-a-custom-field rule action lets you erase the value in all custom fields, including text and number fields.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve run into similar issues, specifically with recurring tasks that have a rule to set the Task Progress as ā€œDoneā€ when the task is complete. Itā€™s confusing for a new task to be generated with the progress already set to done. Hoping for a workaround/better user experience soon.

Itā€™d be great if you could choose which fields to reset on recurring tasks. Since itā€™s a new task having all the fields be duplicated (task progress, actual hours, etc.) makes it super annoying to go reset everything back to the un-started state. On another topic, having rules actually function on the Actual Time (hrs) field would be nice.

1 Like

Thatā€™s part of the reason why I created a tool to create real recurring tasks.

Hi @Aaron_Kishbaugh, thanks for providing this feedback!

While this feature isnā€™t available at this time, hopefully itā€™s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have added my +1 vote as well.
From a productivity stand point, I think it would be really helpful for reoccurring tasks to start with clear custom field values.

I would agree with everyone that it would be great if recurring tasks could be created with blank custom fields! Do I need to go anywhere and upvote to get this on the development teamā€™s radar?

Just checking to see if there has been an update since the last post. I too have reoccurring tasks with fields the person can fill out, which need to be cleared out of the next task to start fresh.

Hi has this been implemented yet?

Still waiting for this feature ā€¦ seems like a pretty standard thing that Asana should make happen ā€¦ isnā€™t the platform supposed to be making our work easier?

This is really important for making Asana useful for recurring work. Iā€™m waiting on an update here!