Custom Fields with Default Values

adding custom fields for custom fields like a drop down would be a really great feature.
also, having a check box custom as a custom field will be useful as well

5 Likes

sorry for typing custom fields for custom fields, i meant Default Value for Custom Fields

2 Likes

Hi
I also require this feature of ability to set a default value for dropdown type of custom field
Thanks

Iā€™d love to see this feature too. We use a custom field for priority and want the default to be ā€˜TBDā€™ (To Be Determined) rather than the ambiguous ā€˜-ā€™

@Marie is there any way to give old posts like this a new life? I feel like Iā€™m just adding on to a post that will never see the limelight.

Hi @Fonti, commenting on an old post automatically brings it back at the top of the Forum, so itā€™s the best way to increase its visibility!

I would like to see this too. As a new Asana user Iā€™m kind of shocked to see something so basic is still missing after over a yearā€¦!

1 Like

FYI this capability is available in my Flowsana integration using its If-Then Rule feature:

1 Like

Is this an option yet?

Using Flowsana is overkill for what we are trying to accomplish.

Sorry to hear that :grinning:!

Are you on Asana Business? If so, you can use the new Asana rules function to set a value for a custom field when a new task is added. If youā€™re on Asana Premium, then the Asana rules options are limited and donā€™t include this functionality, and Flowsana is your only option for accomplishing it.

1 Like

Just note that you may not have it yet - itā€™s rolling out over the next two weeks or so.

1 Like

Thanks for the information Phil.

Ahh, I would love to be able to set a default value (or just by default the first value being default), but I also see how the Rules feature which is part of Business, is part of Asanaā€™s business model to not have this featureā€¦ :cry:

How is this done, @Phil_Seeman? Is this still possible?

Hi @Jon_Cunningham,

Are you asking about how to do it in Asana Business/Enterprise using an Asana custom rule, or how to do it in Flowsana for an Asana Premium customer?

Hi @Phil_Seeman

Asana Business - I canā€™t see how to do it as a custom rule in Asana!

J

@Jon_Cunningham,

The trigger would be ā€œTask added to this projectā€.

For the action, in the ā€œUpdate taskā€ section, youā€™d select the custom field you want to set and then set the desired starting value in the dialog:

1 Like

Cheers @Phil_Seeman - this is what I was doing! Maybe it wonā€™t offer it because itā€™s a text field not a dropdown/single selectā€¦ :man_facepalming:

Oh yes, sorry I didnā€™t ask you about the field type. Right, Asana rules donā€™t support text-type fields; for that you would need to use our Flowsana integration which does have a rule action that supports text-type fields:

Cheers @Phil_Seeman - thought that was going to be the deal!

I always have Flowsana in mind, but not sure my client will go for itā€¦

1 Like