Rules set Custom Fields with Text or Numbers

Currently rules only affect custom fields that are Dropdowns. The ability to use rules to affect Numerical or Textual Custom Fields would be wonderful.

10 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @John_Lathbury! :wave:

Rules are very new and we’re planning to improve them in the future so thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!

In the meantime, I recommend you to have a look at Flowsana developed by @Phil_Seeman. This integration supports both conditions/triggers and actions using all types of custom fields. You can find more information in the following post: Now rolling out to Asana users — Rules - #49 by Phil_Seeman

Have a great weekend John! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Right now I can set up a filter that is triggered when a dropdown custom field is updated, it would be nice to have the same for a numerical (and maybe text) custom fields as well. So something happens when the number is changed.

Thanks

1 Like

I meant rule, not filter.

Hi @Mate and thanks for sharing this feedback with us! We already have a thread on this topic (Rules set Custom Fields with Text or Numbers) so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post to consolidate all feedback in one place! I’ll make sure to loop you in when I have an update on me end! :slight_smile:

Hi @Mate,

FYI, in case you haven’t seen this:

I know this thread is over a year old, but still an issue. Can we have Rules that work with numeric fields? In my case, I want to have the assignee choose a drop-down option and then that will trigger a change in the numeric field.

Will look into Flowsana but a native automation would be preferred.

1 Like

Hello,
Thanks for bringing this up. Native integration of updating numerical and texts custom fields with rules would be great!

Arg I just spent 20 minutes building new custom fields, thinking I could use a rule to sort them. Now I have to rethink the whole thing since I can only apply rules to custom fields that are dropdown format.

Hi @Marie

Any movement on this?

Even if we only get {if populated} as a starting point.

Been 3 years and rules can still only affect dropdown values, making them quite useless.
Flowsana doesn’t even work anymore, says “There are no custom fields in this project”, even if there are tons of them.

Hi Jeremy,

Trust me, it works! Asana’s programming interface doesn’t automatically notify external apps when custom fields are created or are added to a project, so you’ll need to do a refresh in order to resolve the scenario you mention. You can read the specifics of that here.

In addition to that Help article, also make sure the project in question is in a Team which you’ve elected to include in Flowsana.

This is what solved it for me. Thanks!

1 Like

This would still be incredibly useful!

This would be really helpful.

Absolutely BONKERS that this is still not implemented. Asana continues to prove that their automation rules are years behinds competitors like Smartsheet.

Hello, I see it has been 4 years since this was first raised. I am need of this feature for expense tracking in my projects. Has there been any movement or an ETA for resolution? I have tried Flowsana but it sits on ‘Authentication Required’ forever, no matter how many times I log in via the ‘connect to Flowsana’ link.

Please send a report to support@flowsana.net; we can positively get to the bottom of this issue and get you going on Flowsana.

FYI Asana does not publish a pubic roadmap or comment on unreleased features, so there won’t be any information updates forthcoming.

Really need this. If I use a custom dropdown field, I cannot use the field in Burnup chart calculation, and if I use a number field, I cannot use filter or run rules based on the field.

Is Asana looking at this at all?

There is no way to know, Asana (like most competitors) doesn’t share their roadmap.