When you create a drop-down custom field in Asana, it is tempting to create all the possible values. For a priority for example, High-Medium-Low. However, by listing all possible values, you are basically creating a situation where:
- the absence of value is a mistake
- any task created requires an extra compulsory step
- or some automation to put a default value
Today, I want to share with you another way: what if the absence of value WAS the default value? Instead of having High-Medium-Low, you could have High-Low. And then suddenly:
- your projects and tasks look cleaner because the priority field is often empty
- no need to create automation to put a default value
- no extra work when creating a task
What do you think? Does that inspire you and gives you ideas?
One caveat about the solution: if you sort by that field, the default value will show up at the bottom.