Who sees whom, a guide to guest visibility with Batman & Robin

Hi :wave:,

When working with guests, I am always confused by who sees who, because in a lot of cases a guest will see another guest as “Private user”. So they basically see comments like “Hey Bryan, Private user will help you with this, unless you talked with Private user already. I know he asked Private user a while back.” :sweat_smile:

I wanted to understand once and for all how this worked, and invited Batman and Robin on a “Save Gotham” task. Here goes.

TLDR; guests only see each other if they are project members or team members. If you prefer a video, here are my explanations https://youtu.be/OnOV-MzzUHg

Note: one of the account was stuck with French, so “Utilisateur Privé” and “Up” stand for “Private User” and “Pu”. :fr:

:rocket: Batman and Robin as collaborators
They are not project members nor team members.
Note: followers are being renamed “collaborators”

• :eye: What I see

• :eye: What Batman sees

• :eye: What Robin sees

Conclusion: when guest are only collaborators, they don’t see each other.

:rocket: Task assigned to Batman, Robin as a collaborator
They are not project members nor team members, but Batman is assigned on the task

Conclusion: being assigned on the task does not give you any more visibility, neither to you or others

:rocket: Batman added to project members, Robin as a collaborator
Same as before.
Conclusion: being added as a project member does not give you any more visibility, neither to you or others

:rocket: Batman added to team members, Robin as a collaborator
Same as before.
Conclusion: being added as a team member does not give you any more visibility, neither to you or others

:rocket: Batman and Robin both added as project members, or both team members, or one team member and the other project member

Conclusion: all guests that are project members or team members see each other, but they don’t see other guests, and other guests don’t see them either.

I hope that helps! :wave:

Edit June 2nd 2021:
I made a great discovery today; if Batman and Robin don’t see each other on a project, but you add them both as project members on a second project, then they DO see each other on the first project as well!

36 Likes

Amazing explanation!! Thanks to these examples Gotham will be save :wink:
Seriously speaking, thanks for the info. It’s very helpfull!

Roberto G.
Spanish Asana User

3 Likes

Another brilliant post @Bastien_Siebman, thank you for your help, creativity and support :heart:

2 Likes

I totally didn’t’ know this!

2 Likes

Ditto on the brilliant & creative “Batcall” I did not even know that I needed. Thanks @Bastien_Siebman

2 Likes

In correct English, it is “Who sees whom” right? Nobody cared to correct me ^^

3 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman, Whom is asking? :laughing:

1 Like

Don’t make fun of me and tell me what is correct :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you know I wasn’t making fun of you, just the English language, and since you write better than me (or should that be “…write better than I do”???), and even have corrected errors in this native speaker’s written English!

In https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-word-whom-really-mean-Can-I-use-who-instead-of-whom it says:

All that said, “whom” has lost a lot of its usage. Very few people use it in everyday speech anymore, and even the phrasings that would make use of it have fallen out of style. Thus, it’s not uncommon to hear “who” used in situations where “whom” would be more appropriate.

Give it another few decades, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see “whom” be considered an archaic word.

In other words, many of us didn’t notice there was anything wrong with “Who sees who” but I’d say the way you have it now is more correct.

Congratulations to anyone who has learned English; I’m not sure how that was possible,

Larry

6 Likes

wow, thanks for this detailed examples. Good to know.

3 Likes

Thanks for breaking this down in a fun way that really illustrates the point! Nice work Bastien!

2 Likes

Now Gothan will know who saved them.

Congrats! :smile: :clap: :bat:

3 Likes

I made a great discovery today; if Batman and Robin don’t see each other on a project, but you add them both as project members on a second project, then they DO see each other on the first project as well!

That’s it, you can go back to having a normal day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whoa.

Where specifically in the UI do they see each other?

In the collaborator sections, instead of seeing “PU” for each other, they suddenly see their faces and names if added to another project together.

Wow, that seems odd to me. Are these two projects in the same team? Do you know if it happens across two projects in different teams? Also, I’m curious if these two guests were also team members or not?

I’ll run more tests. If they are team members they see other from the start…

1 Like

I just ran the test: adding Batman and Robin as team members on another team ALLOWS them to each other EVERYWHERE.

1 Like