New! Track time on your Tasks in Asana ⏱

Hi Asana Community :wave:

We’re super excited to announce that native time tracking in Asana is here! With this new feature, users can track estimated and actual time spent on tasks. This time data helps empower strategic decision-making around resourcing, give better real-time estimates on project progress, and is essential for budgeting and forecasting. To deliver value to our customers as efficiently as possible, our time tracking feature is rolling out in three distinct release phases.

Check out the video below for full details of the feature, along with the timeline of our 3 release phases :arrow_down:

As each phase begins to roll out, I’ll be sure to come back here to this post with an update. As mentioned in the video, these timelines are subject to change.

For each release phase, you can expect the following features to come to life in your Asana domains:

• Release 1 - Mid November

• Estimated and actual time fields
    • Manual entry of time
    • Reporting for time tracking
    • Workload for estimated time
    • Mobile read-only
  • Release 2 - Early January

• Start / stop timer + mini-timer
  • Release 3 - Late January

• Time tracking in My Tasks
    • Subtask roll ups
    • Template support
    • Exporting of time date
    • Importing of estimated time
    • API read-only
  • Fast Follows - Mid-2023

• Sorting and filtering of estimated and actual time in project grid
    • Notifications and reminders for timer
    • API write support
    • Rules and triggers

Please note time tracking is available with Business and Enterprise plans only!

We hope you’re excited for all these upcoming updates. We know time tracking has been highly anticipated from the community, and we can’t wait to hear how this functionality will transform how your teams do work! :slight_smile:

70 Likes

:exploding_head: looks like a dream coming true!

7 Likes

:loudspeaker: Ah-may-zing!!!

:heart_eyes: Loving that the announcement has video now too! Easy to share with teammates who don’t have time to read but can play and listen in the background.

5 Likes

Perfect timing, I was literally just this week looking into time tracking options for my team! Can’t wait to try it out!

4 Likes

This is great to see - we experimented trying to time track years ago but had to abandon it.

The subtask roll-up sounds really useful, and will help with projects.

We use “Story Points” for Estimating instead of time - would be good to see a similar roll-up feature for that, or allow Estimate Time to either be in time or points.

Look forward to trying out the feature soon, thanks

4 Likes

This is amazing! Finally! Thank you, the updates lately are finally making asana perfect.

4 Likes

Very exciting to see Asana finally implement native time tracking. We have been using Harvest for years, which works well, and it includes an Asana add-on. But looking forward to having the option to manage time tracking and reporting all in one place. For now, we will continue to use Harvest because it already provides all of the functionalities and more that Asana is releasing in the next four phases. Hopefully, by end of next year, this will be a fully baked feature, and we can cancel our Harvest subscription.

By the way, I really liked the video explanation and the roadmap transparency. This format saves everyone time, we don’t need to ask questions and propose features that are already in your roadmap. It would be helpful if Asana uses the same release announcement format for all new features.

Keep up the great work :clap:t2:

10 Likes

This is fantastic! Will this be available for all subscription levels? Ie: Business and Premium?

1 Like

Great question, @anon15517717! Time Tracking will be available to all Business and Enterprise users :slight_smile:

Great, but… In my case it was working only in the app, and now it does not anymore.

Hi @Bruno_Habegger1, we are still in the process of rolling out Release 1 to all users. If you don’t have access to the features in Release 1 just yet, you can expect access by the end of this week.

I’ll keep you posted here and let you know if this timeline changes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca! We had the feature turned on last friday but now we don’t see it anywhere. Do you have any idea why this could be?

Hi @Mate, the Product team ran into a small bug so have temporarily rolled back the release over the weekend. Rollout should begin again today and you can expect access to all Release 1 features by the end of this week. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath it would be great if a report can be made at the end of the month to see how many hours you worked on tasks.

7 Likes

Do we need to do anything to have these features or will they just appear in Asana?
Are these features available for all Asana users or only for certain packages?

2 Likes

Hi @Alison6 , welcome to the forum! see above:

4 Likes

That’s great! Thanks, @Richard_Sather ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

From a potential customer currently in trial i must say that this looks promising. We have been testing out how to log hours in custom field and then we get this feature handed out on a silver-plate.
Altso great to notice this forum, and see the active interraction with the customers.

Great work !

Hi @Richard_Sather will there be a budgeting feature, cost rpoerts etc, sorry if I have missed

1 Like

Hi guys - thanks so much for this!

Weekly/monthly time sheets would be so handy for us. The ability to see per team member, or per project, how much actual time has been spent across a custom time period (week, month, etc.) would really close the loop. We could then move our WIPs, etc. completely inside Asana - which would make life so much easier. Hoping this is on the roadmap - we will stick with Xero in the meantime.

Excited to see where this goes.

5 Likes