New! Track time on your Tasks in Asana ⏱

Hi @Chris_Quinn1 , welcome to the forum! :smiley:
I don’t work for Asana (I’m a Partner) so I don’t have that visibility, but the roadmap that @Rebecca_McGrath shared in her initial post indicates an outline of the release phases. I don’t see if budgeting will be integrated, which would be great of course and makes sense, perhaps @Rebecca_McGrath can answer this…?

1 Like

Great to see Asana heading in this direction! Looking forward to the mobile app impimentaion of time tracking/ API release!

One question springs to mind, will team members be able to track time spent on tasks that they are not assigned to?
If so, how will that be recorded? As time spent by the assignee, or time spent by the collaborator?

As is apparent with the implemention of ‘workload’ the underlying architecture of Asana’s tasks only being able to be assigned to one team member starts to become restrictive.

I imagine Time Tracking will have the same issue.

If two or more people collaborate on completing a task, the only way currently to track their individual workload (effort) is to duplicate the task.

This seems like a inefficient way to structure things.

Time tracking will only amplify this issue in my opinion.
Or am I missing something?

5 Likes

For reporting on the hours, is there a possibility of adding an hours chart to the project dashboard view?

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Richard_Sather

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath !

It’s a very useful function, and we could use something else instead of a timing app in everyday life, but unfortunately we have a Premium package, so it’s a shame that you didn’t make this available. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the question, @Chris_Quinn1!

As @Richard_Sather mentioned in his response, budgeting isn’t included in this launch but I’ll keep you posted if we roll this out in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Rebecca!!

2 Likes

I echo this, great that we can now track time but we need to be able to roll the data together

Will there be a way to easily export data for a time period to achieve a timesheet like report?

2 Likes

That is great news, wow! We will shortly support Estimated and Actual time fields in Bridge24 for Asana as soon as possible.

1 Like

I hope we get a reporting chart capability to do a planned versus actual (bar/line, bar-bar or something else).

2 Likes

It would be great to have a transfer tool to carry over all the data we entered into the “Estimated hours” custom field into the new field. I was in the process of getting a large group to use this custom field to get Workload to work, but this is going to take so much time to transfer the data. And I see the API write feature is only available mid 2023…

2 Likes

Everhour is a great solution in the interim.

4 Likes

My team and I use Everhour to track time.

I love that Asana is bringing this feature to native. It’s a really great tie in to the Workload function which I rely on almost entirely for managing my teams workflow.

If the Asana native feature can compete with all the great features of Everhour, I’d switch my team in a heartbeat.

6 Likes

This is awesome! Can’t wait for release 2 of this feature. Also, the video announcement was a great addition to the release notes since it gave much more user focused context to the updates we are seeing.

1 Like

@Rebecca_McGrath - Is there any chance that we’ll be able to bring our time tracking history from Everhour into Asana’s native time tracking fields? Since the data is already tied to the task, I would love to see the estimates and actuals filled in from Everhour so that we can decommission our Everhour accounts and switch to tracking within Asana directly! This reporting, goals, etc. looks like more of what we’re hoping for from time tracking anyway (Everhour hasn’t quite met our reporting needs to date), so this seems like a win for us if we can benefit from the existing/historical data.

Also, I’ll add to the appreciation for the video being included with this announcement. Awesome!

3 Likes

Same!

Thanks for the update, it’s a great new feature!

I have one question: what happens to a Multi-homed task? Adding the tracked time to both (or more) projects could give a wrong picture of the overall time allocations… Is there a sort of hierarchy/priority or rule to keep the time spent on one task under one single project to avoid doubling the actual hours worked?

1 Like

Awesome feature. One question comes up: Is the time tracked visible to everybody in the project? So if we use shared projects with partners or clients, will they see the time tracked too? Thank you very much.

Love this new feature! Question though - I’m having difficulty accessing the Estimated Time and Actual Time features through templates? I had used custom asana fields for this previously and would like to switch our templates over to use the new Asana created fields. Can you help me figure out how to access these options in a project template? Estimated Time is available but Actual Time is not.

2 Likes

Thanks @Rebecca_McGrath So excited! Can’t wait!!!

1 Like