workloads and subtasks

we have a team member with many sub tasks assigned to him for today. Workloads indicates that he has no tasks for today. does workloads work with subtasks?

11 Likes

Workload is linked to a portfolio that lists projects, and a subtask is not part of its parent task’s project (wow that is a complicated sentence).

Long story short: unless you add subtasks to the project, you won’t see them in Workload. If you do, the project task list will be messy :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hi @dan1, welcome to the Community forum!

As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, subtasks do not inherit the project from their parent tasks right now. You can only affiliate subtasks with projects by manually adding the project to them. Once you add the subtasks to the project, they will appear in the Workload. Please find how to do it in this article.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

4 Likes

thanks mate

Hi @Emily_Roman is there an update for when subtasks will be available in workload? This is limiting the value of workload.

40 Likes

Hi @John_Camilleri!

You can certainly see subtasks in Workload, simply add the subtasks to the project and they will appear. You can do this by going into the subtask details and using Tab+P to focus on the project field or by going to the upper right drop-down and selecting “Add to Project.”

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

3 Likes

Too many clicks. There should be a way to streamline and have all the subtasks pick up parent task project. At a min, add the project field to the subtask so we don’t have to click into details.

30 Likes

It also adds the subtask into the board (double posts) when you assign the project. Not clean.

25 Likes

Hi Emily, this is a lot of double handling of tasks which creates a lot of inefficiency. We’d prefer not to have to do work-arounds to make it usable.

20 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback @Andrew_Pawling and @John_Camilleri. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I completely understand your point! You can vote for this feature in this thread: Allow to automatically add subtasks to project

Let me know if your have any questions and I’d be happy to help!

2 Likes

Would love to see subtasks in Workloads too. I’m trying to get more of our departments on Asana, but it’s hard for me to sell it (and the upgrade to Business) if we can’t view resource allocation at that level.

17 Likes

I would also like to see subtasks added to time line. Is development for this underway?

Thank you

2 Likes

Hey all,

I have been working with subtasks and workloads a bit. What I did is create a separate project & portfolio called “all working subtasks” which everyone’s subtasks get added into. Currently I have to do this manually, but I am hopeful that there will be a way to auto-update via the new rules functionality some day. By adding the subtasks to this project I am able to see the workload in portfolios as desired above. This has worked for us for now!

Liz

1 Like

Any news on this update - its essential that subtasks are part of the workflow, the work around isn’t useful at all due to the fact it creates duplicates of tasks on the list.

5 Likes

Having subtasks as part of the workloads would be a huge improvement to our workflow. Hoping this gets added soon!

6 Likes

@Emily_Roman any news on this update? I have voted in the thread linked and it seems like this has been an ongoing problem for several years with no action on Asana’s side to address. This is severely limited the efficiency of my team and has rendered workloads (a function that I would like to take advantage of) as essentially useless.

(And yes, I know that I can add all subtasks to my project, but what is the point of having subtasks if that is the fix? It makes projects messy and inefficient)

12 Likes

Hi @Emily_Roman, following up on @Emily_August’s comment above in this thread here. We would really love to know whether Asana has plans to remedy this without the user having to add Subtasks to a Project.

For context: We have a small Brand Design team with many projects across multiple teams within a company (R&D, HR, Marketing, Sales, etc.) In order to better organize our work, we have projects named for each of those teams, and have demoted projects for those teams to tasks, with the actionable tasks for the project then demoted to subtasks. In order to maintain this level of organization, we’d like to keep those tasks as subtasks, rather than adding them back to the project where they re-populate as tasks.

Please let us know if there’s a fix in the works, thanks so much!

7 Likes

Hi @anon12985523 and @Emily_August, and thanks for reaching out!

Our team is fully aware this is something we need to improve and while I don’t have an update to share at the moment, this is definitely on our radar.

My apologies for not being able to share update at this time, I’ll make sure to post an update in the main thread as soon as I have more details!

5 Likes

I think this linked feature is more complicated or misleading as a solution. Ideally, the feature would give the ability to measure the budget of subtasks in workload without the necessity/messiness of adding it at the project level? Thanks Emily!

4 Likes

Just adding to this thread as our example is similar and this lack of a feature is pretty crippling to the usability of workloads for us (and I’m sure others). We have Estimated Time as a custom field which allows us to make decisions around task assignment/project expectations. There are tasks that have subtasks with different team members assigned to each. Not having these “parent” tasks or the “child” subtasks show up in workloads is not only frustrating - but it overall useless.

Is there a plan to make this feature: “Show All Assigned tasks/subtasks” in workload? If this is just a request and not a part of the road map here? It would be helpful to know as we would need to find another solution to displaying/calculating actual bandwidth in our organization. Thank you.

8 Likes