Show project on subtask in 'My tasks' view

When subtasks are assigned to a person and they show up in the ‘My tasks’ view, there is no project ‘tag’ visible on that subtask. There is a reference to the parent task, but therefore I have to look up the parent task first and check to which project that task belongs.

It would be more efficiently to directly show the project tag on each subtask.

42 Likes

Yeah! this would be especially useful for when I organize ‘My Tasks’ by project. Currently all subtasks show up in ‘No Project’, which is clearly inaccurate.

19 Likes

I was looking into this, as well. It appears that tags do not inherit from parent task to sub-task. Since projects are tracked through tags, this means that sub-tasks must be manually tagged if you want them to appear at the parent level of a project’s reporting.

I’m tagging all my sub-tasks manually, but it would be great if there were a setting at the project level to selectively inherit tags down to the terminal level of the task hierarchy. Anyone know if there are any applicable advanced settings related to this?

2 Likes

Yes. This is important for my team – we have many projects created from the same template, with subtasks. Having the same “send reminder” subtask show up seventeen times in a row under “No Project” or under “invoice” is super un-helpful! What I need is to see that Projects A and D have the “invoice: send reminder” subtask due!

12 Likes

I have seen this reported many times in the past. Weird this has past QA. pretty basic need. Thanks for implementing!

3 Likes

Would love to see this updated as our team is having a tough time with organizing tasks. Asana any updates?

5 Likes

I think I figured out why subtasks don’t inherit project tags automatically. A subtask should belong to its parent task, first. That way, no matter where you move the parent task, the subtasks will follow. If a subtask belongs to a specific project, when you move the parent task, none of the subtasks will move with it. Although, it seems like Asana could build some exception handling for this. Nonetheless, I think this is why tags are organized as designed. @sjorsroelofs @Arianna_Stelling

I think the problem is that subtasks could easily belong to both. And when you view them in your task list by project, none of the subtasks fall under a project and so that view becomes useless. And I have similar subtasks under different projects. It’s important to know where they are housed. This is the same with the Calendar view where subtasks show up as white no matter what project they’re associated with. Asana could design the subtasks so that they remain with the parent but also display as associated with the project they’re under.
Arianna Stelling
Research Associate | Office of Institutional Research and Assessment | Pitzer College
1050 N. Mills Ave, Box A-096 | Claremont, CA | 91711-6101
Avery Hall 105 | Office: (909) 607-9231|
#BeHeardAtPitzer

Our team works around this by assigning each subtask in addition to assigning the parent task. Then, when you view each subtask in your task list, it is noted at the top that it belongs to a parent task. And, you can easily assign all subtasks at once by the click-drag multi-select capability. I hope this helps!

Once again, my issue is I want the subtask to have the project linked to it in the task list, not only the parent task. They both serve different functions, and I would prefer having my subtasks organized in my list under the project it is associated with and not under “No Project”.
Arianna Stelling
Research Associate | Office of Institutional Research and Assessment | Pitzer College
1050 N. Mills Ave, Box A-096 | Claremont, CA | 91711-6101
Avery Hall 105 | Office: (909) 607-9231|
#BeHeardAtPitzer

5 Likes

OK, well I was just trying to help… :frowning:

This is a critical need for our team. We rely on subtasks but it makes it very difficult for assignees to make sense of their task list when they have to click into each task to understand which project it belongs to.

5 Likes

Having Same issue here. @Tara_Ciprick_Asana @Sean_Asana. Any advice on how to move/keep the subtasks out of “no project” and in correct project?

Not sure why I’ve been tagged?

Perhaps the wrong Tara Ciprick? (Although if there is another on here I’d love to meet her :slight_smile: )

Having to assign every sub-tasks to a project is painful.
Please default sub-tasks to the parent task project or make it an option.

4 Likes

I have the same problem: This is important for my team – we have many projects created from the same template, with subtasks. Having the same “send reminder” subtask show up seventeen times in a row under “No Project” or under “invoice” is super un-helpful! What I need is to see that Projects A and D have the “invoice: send reminder” subtask due!

Please turn off this error

3 Likes

I completely agree! It only makes sense that the subtasks are inherently part of the parent project. PLEASE UPDATE THIS ASANA! I would be forever grateful if I didn’t have a file of “No Project” Tasks in my to-do list.

3 Likes

Any update here? This appears to be closely related to this suggestion: Allow to automatically add subtasks to project – originally submitted in May 2017.

Thank you.

The My Tasks list does not work if the tasks it lists are meaningless. Because multiple projects can have subtasks with the same name, failing to tag them with the project stops My Tasks from being useful. Manually tagging every subtask to the the project is the only workaround.

This issue has remained a problem since August 2017.

2 Likes

When I look at my task list, sub-tasks get lumped together as having no project, when sorting by project. At least for that view, I think that sub-tasks should inherit the project of the parent task.

It would greatly assist me in my workflow, which sometimes has many non-project tasks having spuriously-grouped sub-tasks among them.

Would you be willing to make such a change, Asana team?

Thanks for considering this!