Asana2Go Adds New Projects Dashboard/Roll-Up Feature

Asana2Go now creates projects dashboards with rolled-up information from multiple projects and teams including the latest projects’ Progress Status Updates.

One key use is as a substitute for some of the functionality of Asana Dashboards which will no longer be available in Asana after Portfolios is released, a new feature with a new tier/fee.

But that’s only one example usage. You might need to report across multiple projects for various reasons, and A2G formats are customizable.

Note that Asana2Go does not offer a solution for either the graph of incomplete/completed task counts, nor for the Google Sheets Sync Dashboard features.

Demo/How-To Video - Asana2Go Projects Dashboard/Roll-ups

Medium Post - Asana2Go Projects Dashboard/Roll-ups (includes above video)

Asana2Go is free for all private and most commercial use (see Asana2Go for details)

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi

14 Likes

Way to go Larry :muscle:

1 Like

This is such a great new feature, Larry. Really handy for presenting to senior management. Nicely done. :+1:

2 Likes

Just discovered this tool. It’s great. It does reporting just the way Asana should be doing.

2 Likes

This is great!!! Thank you so much! At this point though I started to look elsewhere for an Asana replacement. I can’t get it through my head how we end up paying more when we add users because it adds to the value while features are being removed. This now just cripples my team. What is next? Removing Reports? Not what I expected when the great “Vision” was mentioned.

PS. I received an email today asking me to try out Portfolios for 3 months because Dashboards was being removed soon. In order to keep it, I would need to upgrade to the enterprise. Why couldn’t they leave what we have for premium? And if we wanted new features still provide them on another plan. This whole creating scarcity to capitalize on Asana’s core users is something I can’t further with.

3 Likes

Exact voice as you. Echo what you mentioned.

Thanks for creating this Larry, it’s really great.

Could I ask a quick question? We had already built multiple roll-up portfolio projects in Asana for quick access to lists of projects in different areas of our business and in different reporting line teams. Each ‘real’ project contains an overview task featuring a project description, and we multi-home those tasks into our portfolio projects. The key thing here is that our overview tasks can be multi-homed in multiple places - four or five isn’t uncommon.

When I tried the Asana2Go projects dashboard on one of our portfolio projects, it brought back some results which had me puzzled to start with. But on reflection I think I’ve figured out what’s up: Asana2Go doesn’t know which of the other projects that a multi-homed task belongs to is the ‘real’ project which I want to pull the details from, so it just uses the first one it sees.

I think the list of projects for a multi-homed task is just unicode ordered. Unfortunately right now we use a naming convention for our ‘real’ projects in the format [ABC1-123] (square brackets part of the name), so they’re always showing last in the list and thus rarely making it into the Asana2Go rollup report.

So, I’m thinking about renaming all our projects (and changing our naming convention for new ones) so that rather than almost always appearing last in a list of projects they’ll always appear first. But we’ve got a few hundred projects and that’ll take me a while, so before I do that I thought I’d ask: Am I right in my understanding of what’s happening and in thinking this is the best course of action?

Thanks again for creating the tool, I think it could be a real help to our team :slight_smile:

Hi @Dan_W,

Thanks for the compliments, but sorry this isn’t working right out of the box for you.

You’re correct that Asana2Go is taking the first one in the array of project memberships from the API, but I believe that API is sorted by the internal id/gid number which doesn’t help you.

I didn’t want to impose a requirement on everyone to “mark” all projects for reporting, so my assumption was that the task would not be multi-homed to more than just the project for reporting (in addition to the list-of-projects project. I’ll private message you to continue this to consider solutions for you…

Thanks so much for the replies Larry, I really appreciate it :+1:

Here’s a quick update on how we’ve got on using Asana2Go after my post a couple of weeks ago. I’ve found it to be a great tool and think it could help a lot of people who are looking for a way of doing reporting across multiple projects following the removal of Dashboards.

What we’ve done is probably best demonstrated with a screenshot: :slight_smile:

I’m super happy with what Asana2Go has enabled me to do here - I simply modified the standard Asana2Go Projects Dashboard template to swap the layout around to a table format and imported our website stylesheet for an instant on-brand visual style. Then I enabled the DataTables feature that’s an option in the Asana2Go templating and that turned on table sorting and search which are brilliant for longer lists of projects. The whole thing only took me about 90mins, and I’m a total novice when it comes to any kind of coding.

Big thanks again to Larry for creating and sharing Asana2Go, and for pointing me in the right direction as I got this working :+1:

4 Likes

Is there a way to show the tasks associated with each project, in the project box? This is getting close to what I am looking for.

@Brenda,

Not currently in the standard Projects Dashboard format provided because that’s intended to stay high level like Portfolios showing you metadata (but not task details) of a set of projects.

There’s another Asana2Go standard format called “Cards” that prints one card per task, and in every card there’s an expand/collapse twisty to show all the task’s immediate subtasks. That looks like this:

It may be possible in Asana2Go to make a custom report to use with selections in an advanced search across projects that shows cards including tasks (and optionally immediate subtasks) for each project.

Larry

This isn’t a complete example, however, it is what I’ve drafted to show how I would like to view my current tasks.

I’ve looked at the Portfolio demos and the concept is great, however, the Projects pulled into the portfolio do not show the tasks associated with it – only status and overall completion rate.

Here is another way I’d like to view My current projects:

@Brenda, We should probably take this offline or at least into another thread (esp. if you’d like to lobby Asana to consider adding another My Tasks view like this). A lot can be done with Asana2Go so we could explore that; I’m available for custom work in Asana2Go. Feel free to private message me here or at Contact Trilogi

Thanks,

Larry

I guess I was just wondering if there was a way to configure a view or a Project for projects that I am not seeing how to accomplish.

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman. Any thoughts on this? Do you know if there is a current way to configure a view like this or the one above?

Asana has 4 views: list, board, timeline and calendar, without much customization. What you are asking is more like a dashboard, that could be built using existing dashboard solutions or with a custom dev (that I could do).

Where are the dashboard solutions within Asana?