If you want to have visual sections in an #asana project, there are two ways: use real Sections or use a custom field and sort by that custom field.
Note: for that last trick to work properly, you need to un-toggle “Sort within sections” in the Sort menu.
I have a preference for the second solution, but because I had no tangible reason, I decided to really study the difference.
Why use sections (solution #1):
- sections become columns in board view, not custom fields
- sections display lanes in Timeline view
- people get confused with solution #2 because they can’t create a new section easily
- you can still sort by another field
- it works with the Free plan
Why use a custom field (solution #2):
- you can share custom fields between projects
- you can search for custom fields more easily than sections
- if a task has several statuses/stages with custom fields, having another status with the section is weird
- if you have too many tasks within a section, the section itself might be outside the screen and you can’t see it when a custom field could always be visible in a column
- you can still have the 2nd level of section if you use a custom field for the 1st level
- if there are not tasks with that value, the “section” does not show
Did I miss anything?