Push project template updates to existing projects

template

Hi, Can you please consider adding the functionality of allowing you to push any changes made to a project template out across all projects created originally using this template? Cheers.

Pushing Project "Template" Updates to Multiple Open Projects
Template Updates - Updating other projects using that template
Template Updates - Updating other projects using that template

That promise to be one hell of a development challenge. What if someone removed a task that changed, do you add it again? What if someone was fine with the original task name and you change it in the template? What if you remove a task in the template, don’t you think people would get angry to have tasks disappearing? I am not sure miroring the template is a good idea. Warning any template user on the other hand why not…

What do you think?

I have created a custom project template and now I am using this template with a few projects. If I want to update something in the template itself, how do I get it to update the projects that are using that template?

You don’t, that is not possible. I thought about it and this is hard to wrap your head around the concept because you might not always want to have the changes propagate. This is a tough one, my guess is that Asana will probably never go this way…

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

Hi guys, I’m merging this thread with Push project template updates to existing projects to gather feedback, feel free to add your vote on this main thread!

My team has created a project template that we copy for each new project that follows the same exact steps (we have MANY projects that follow the same steps). Over time, the template changes, so we have to go into each individual project and manually update, which takes a lot of time and creates a lot of issues since our teams have so many contributors. We might have anywhere from 10-30 projects open at one time, and they each contain several dozen tasks. Outdated projects has become a real problem.

Would it be possible (if this already exists, please smack me) to be able to push project updates from one project (used as a template) to another (live)? The way I see it working is this:
When a template’s task’s description is changed (or subtasks are added, etc.), the UI gives an option to push changes to other projects (which I can select from).
When I push, the live project is changed to include the updates.
I’d have the option to view each affected task’s description pre-change, just like I can do now.

Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your feedback @Josh_A! We already have a thread on this topic in the Forum, so I have gone ahead and merged your post to consolidate feedback on this topic. Feel free to add your vote to this main thread by hitting the “Vote” button at the top of the thread. :slight_smile: