Timeline - Schedule Subtasks

Is there a release timeline for this? I had heard that it was in the development pipeline and should come out in the first half of this year but knowing with a bit more certainty would be helpful - my organizationā€™s adoption of Asana largely depends on it

2 Likes

I would really like to be able to see subtasks on the calendar and timeline views. Now that the first level subtasks appears in the main project list, is it possible to have first level subtasks also appear in the calendar and timeline views? Or, perhaps allow that as an option?

2 Likes

Hi,

This is a very required feature, I believe the @moderators will re-route you to the existing thread(s).

1 Like

Sooooo, 2 years of asking for collapsable subtasks to automatically appear in the timeline and still subtasks are a mess in Asana? Thanks for being so incredibly responsive to your user community. Is there no one at Asana that sees this feature as providing any value?
:frowning:

3 Likes

Hi,

We require to have substasks displayed in the timeline instead of only sections and tasks. It would be amazing to be able to see the primary task and then increase the resolution to display subtasks for the projects that require it. I know this has been discussed here Track subtasks easily or See subtasks in timeline and in calendar view but I am curious as to when it will be complete?

Thanks

Happy Friday @Paul14! Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I completely understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately I donā€™t have an update to share at the moment regarding this topic but rest ensure that we are closely following this topic internally and will make sure to share with you all as soon as we have more information!

As you can imagine, this is a popular topic in the Forum and there is an existing thread discussing this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post to avoid duplications. I hope itā€™s OK

In the meantime, to have your subtasks displayed in your timeline, you would need to manually add the subtask to the project by following these steps:

• Click into the subtask details (the speech bubble to the right of the subtask name)
  • Use Tab+P to open the project field or
    * by going to the upper right drop-down and selecting ā€œAdd to Project.ā€

Thank you again for reaching out in the Forum Paul! Have a great weekend and stay safe!

I would like to see them as well.
Right now you have to go the long way and add them to a project in order for them to appear.
Kind regards
George

Yeah, this works, but makes the tasks appear duplicated, once inside ā€œthe epicā€ (aka parent task) and again as a ā€œprimaryā€ task. This is really confusing!

I donā€™t understand how this is a popular topic being closely followed, but havenā€™t been done in two years and also there is no update on the current status.

Iā€™m sure the development team is doing itā€™s best, but is the product team aligned with this thread? Can you tell us the priority of this feature so expectations are right?

1 Like

Adding my voice to the mix.

@Natalia The fact that subtasks do not populate into My Tasks under a Project name, nor do they show up in Timeline view, makes subtasks useless. Thus every subtask needs to be a task, and that ruins the aesthetic of the project list view and makes it appear overwhelming.

+1 echoing what others have saidā€¦ surprised this has not been implemented yet

The release notes in January indicate that this feature could be added soon. Otherwise, the Subtask visibility in List view feature doesnā€™t really make senseā€¦

3 Likes

+1 also agree! Subtasks have been very helpful but frustrating to have them expanded in one view (ie List View) but not in others. Would love to see them in the timeline view.

1 Like

Adding my voice and plea to this threadā€¦the suggested work around of adding the project name to sub-tasks, and the resulting duplication of the task is a way, way substandard solution. And Asana is way better than this. Gantt charts, MS Project, all time management software have this functionality built in. Itā€™s fundamental. Asana generally sets a standard of excellence and thoughtful design. Someone was asleep at the wheel in this regards when Timeline was being designed. Two years laterā€¦no fix, and no update on a fix ā€¦come on Asana, letā€™s get this knocked out of the park. We know you can!!! Itā€™s time! Thanks!

3 Likes

This is such an intuitive feature that Iā€™m having a hard time grasping that it doesnā€™t work as virtually everyone would expect.

There is virtually no way my team will pay for Premium with this ā€œbugā€. And Iā€™ve finally managed to get them to take Asana seriously. Grrrrā€¦

1 Like

This is a very very important feature for me,

I hope you implement it.

Using Timeline view is great, but without being able to see sub-tasks, it makes it tricky to schedule the steps for a larger parent task.

An accordion option for seeing sub-tasks would be a great solution.

3 Likes

I wanted to share Asana with my COMEX but without sub-tasks in the timeline, itā€™s impossible to have both the macro overview and the details in the same view! I wanted to have the outcomes/objectives as tasks, and the feature details as sub-tasks but it doesnā€™t sounds doable :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Itā€™s really about time that this is implemented!!

2 Likes

Ok, so I am guessing that after two years, we still have no word from Asana on this, unless I missed something? This leaves me with to options: Abandon Asana, or try Instagantt.

Everyone on this thread (including me) clearly has an unmet need that we cannot live without. Does anybody on this thread have any experience of pros and cons of Instagantt?

Just adding that iā€™m in the same boatā€¦ this was the first thing i looked for in order to make sense of my projects and the ability to present completed tasks within tasks as milestones to my management and to the team at large is a MUSTā€¦ wasted a day looking at all Asana trying to figure out if itā€™s possible this doesnā€™t work out of the box and then sent a contact me request which lead me hereā€¦ seems no one has the answer. :frowning:

1 Like

Please please please Asana can we get this acknowledged at least? This is crucial for so many users, 511 votes and counting. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

If thereā€™s one thing weā€™ve learned about Asana it is that they are not capable of rapidly responding to user requests. It took them four years to give us hypertext.