Subtasks are now visible on Timeline!

Hi Asana Community :wave:

Meeting critical team and business objectives is now more important than ever. For many of us that manage complex projects, that means being able to track all of the work in Asana. Today, in addition to already being able to see your tasks in the List view, you’ll also be able to see your subtasks in Timeline view!

How to get started:

• For tasks that have subtasks, an arrow now appears to the left of the task box on Timeline
  • Click this arrow to expand to see the subtasks inside a container that extends downward from the parent task.
  • Subtasks can be interacted with like Tasks for the most part, and you can find more detailed information in our guide article!

We know this is a highly anticipated feature, thanks you to everyone who has shared their feedback with us and help us shape this new new feature. Please let us know what you think of this feature!

Please note this feature is rolling out gradually (as of today it is available to 10% of our users). If you’re not seeing just yet in your account, don’t worry, it will soon be available to everyone!

43 Likes

Who said sub-tasks were not “like real tasks” ? :grin:

Great addition, thanks !

9 Likes

Hello all :wave:

Quick update to let you know Subtasks on Timeline in now available to 50% of our customers! We’re hoping to have it rolled out to all our users in mid-January! Let us know below if you have any questions!

8 Likes

This is so good and extremely helpful. Thank you!

3 Likes

Will subtasks be visible in Calendar View too?

Not this time @Rachel_Andersson, but that’s something we’re looking into!

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Allow to stack multiple tasks (including subtasks) in Timeline on a single line

Hello,

This is definitely exciting, and a step in the right direction!!

Our biggest challenge is being able to see a snapshot of all our resources workload (tasks & subtasks) across all projects at once for this week and next week. (FYI - Adding subtasks to the project, as recommended on previous threads, is not an option for us as this is way to messy.) This is such an issue for us with Asana, that we are actually looking at alternatives to move off of Asana. When, if ever, will we be able to see task and subtask assignments by resource & project within a portfolio? I honestly don’t care if it’s under the timeline or workload view, or if you decide to add calendar to portfolios that show all tasks and subtasks of a project by resource, we just need to be able to have this information easily accessible. This seems to be a basic and necessary need. Does Asana have a plan in place to implement changes that will be able to fix this issue? If not, we most likely will be moving off of Asana within the next 6 months to a year.

5 Likes

WOO-HOO! This is huge! I jumped for joy when I saw the notification for this in my inbox! Thank you so much, development team!!! :tada: :partying_face:

Agreed! I love the new subtask feature – but I spent a long time stacking the tasks properly for my team to read more easily. I’m really hoping this is a bug that can be fixed!

2 Likes

I don’t see this feature as of today. Please update this thread when you have reached 100% distribution so that I can confirm we have access.

1 Like

I am so excited to see this, but also do not yet have it available!

How exciting! :star_struck:

Is there an update on the rollout of this feature? I am still not seeing it in my Asana account!

1 Like

Only one added level in the hierarchy. Keep going.

5 Likes

Upvoting! it should be fixed. It’s sad but Timeline is not usable for us anymore. Is there any possibility we’ll see some update for that?
@Marie

1 Like

Now if you could only show subtasks in the workload tab, that could be extremely useful. We need to be able to see our resources’ availability and the majority of our staff is only assigned to subtasks. We still have no way of seeing who is available to be assigned to tasks.

10 Likes

Fantastic! Timeline is now much more usable. Now if we can get Subtasks added to Workload, we’ll no longer need to manage a whole separate Subtasks section in every project. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

I agree, it is no longer possible to align the tasks horizontally, it is very annoying to read the timeline

2 Likes

Tasks can still be aligned horizontally as long as they have a 1 day gap between them to allow for the :arrow_forward: expand arrow to ‘fit’. Of course, tasks usually follow each other without gaps, unless between weekends so this is clearly an unfortunate side effect of a great feature which will be useful to many :confused:

If only the :arrow_forward: was placed within the tasks’ bars and not to the left of them
 :thinking:

6 Likes