Subtasks are now visible on Timeline!

Although the implementation needs some tweaking, It is encouraging to see any adjustments to subtasks. I am hopeful for more changes this year regarding an easier method of adding them to a project (without making them appear as a full task) and seeing subtasks in workload.
Appreciate the teams involved on these updates.

3 Likes

I have it but I donā€™t want it. How can I disable this please?

1 Like

As an idea / input for the product team:
In my view, the optimal solution would be:

• A timeline as we know it, with horizontal and manual alignment. The possibility to show subtasks is useful and welcome here, but only if horizontal and manual alignment is still possible (for instance with the :arrow_forward: within the task bars as suggested above).
  • An additional and separate Gantt view that has no horizontal or manual alignment, but shows the entire task hierarchy (subtasks, subsubtasks etc.). See e.g. Wrike for a good example.
5 Likes

Hi @JFrentz and thank you so much for your feedback. This is something we have heard from many customers, and our team is already working on an update to fix this. Iā€™ll keep you posted here as soon as the update is live :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is it possible to get an update? I am still not seeing this feature unfortunatelyā€¦

Hi @anon12499563,

Weā€™re hoping to make subtasks on Timeline available to all users around mid-January. Iā€™ll post an update on this thread once I have a precise date!

Hi @JFrentz,

Quick update on your request. Our team has implemented a fix to allow placing multiple tasks on a single line, however Iā€™m afraid this only work for single-day tasks (without subtasks). Our team is continuing to monitor feedback, so Iā€™ll move your initial feedback to the Product Feedback category to help us keep track of the feedback.

Apologies for the confusion here. let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

1 Like

Hi This is great and talking of ā€œsubsā€ - Can you add a sub-section within a Section e. Section would be ā€œMarketingā€ and subsection would be ā€œEmail Marketingā€? or is there a way round this if functionality not available? Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hi @anon58975013,

Iā€™m afraid there is no option to create sub-sections in projects and I canā€™t think of a good workaround other than creating a separate section for your ā€œEmail Marketingā€ tasks.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame but thanks for coming back to me so quickly!

This is great!!!

1 Like

You can however create subsections in subtasks - place cursor to the left of the area and then click Tab N.

Hi @anon58975013 , welcome to the forum :smiley:
You can create what you are looking for using a workaround; refer to :hammer: F13 in šŸ”„ Hottest feature requests and their workarounds by @Bastien_Siebman. I would also suggest to continue the conversation regarding sub-sections in one of those relevant topics :wink:

1 Like

Fantastic! Thatā€™s a long waited feature!
Iā€™m still unable to see the arrow on the left side of the task you mentioned. When will this feature be rolled out to all users?

Hi @Alison6, weā€™re hoping to roll it out to all users in the next week or so! Iā€™ll post an update here once thatā€™s the case!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update and the quick fix @Marie. Iā€™m unsure where I should respond now as you have moved my feedback to a new topic but all your responses remain here.

As you can see in the images of the original feedback post that is now moved, we have 10+ subtasks that we donā€™t want to plan in a timeline. And the problem remains for us who have tasks with subtasks to plan in the timeline.

The layout is unchanged and the screenshot in your original post above is not how it is actually working in the production environment. In your screenshot, the arrow to expand subtasks is within the starting date. But in reality, that arrow spills over to the previous day as stated by me and other users in the comments on this topic.

What is the expected timeframe to fix the issue, where your designed feature is not implemented correctly in production?

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up @JFrentz,

Yes unfortunately the fix recently deployed only works for single-day tasks without subtasks, so that doesnā€™t resolve your issue.

While the fix youā€™re requesting is not prioritized yet, our team is closely monitoring feedback and will consider options in the future. I have intentionally moved your feedback to a new thread in the Product Feedback section to allow other folks running into the same issue to upvote this request. I will keep you posted on Allow to stack multiple tasks in Timeline on a single line as soon as I have an update on my end!

1 Like

Very odd behavior.
ā€œWhile the fix youā€™re requesting is not prioritized yet, our team is closely monitoring feedback and will consider options in the future.ā€

You design and promote a neat solution and then release another broken solution, but it is not a bug? It is a visible deviation in production compared to the design/screenshot you have shared. Why do you need external people to vote on the clear mistake?

Why do you even allow tasks without subtasks to be stacked horizontally if not those with subtasks? You do it because it creates a better overview for the user and its standard Gantt behavior to planing one task after the next in the same line. Why break it for those tasks with subtasks when you already have the designed solution? Why not just fix the ā–¾ and get over it?

You make a release to support subtasks in the timeline but break the fundamentals of a Gantt chart and how people have worked with the Asana timeline until now. Now if any task in the timeline has subtasks, even if they are not planned, they break the parent purpose of the timeline, visual overview. Itā€™s a bad priority, and you have the solution, even promoted it.

It is obviously not a one-man problem that you can brush under the rug as 8 other independent people have already confirmed the same problem and even want to revert because it destroys our work in Asana.

Why do we even have to motivate you to fix something that obviously is not implemented as designed or promoted, it should be in your interest?

Asanas designed and promoted solution where ā–¾ is placed within the start date:
Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 08.44.28

Asanas released solution in production where ā–¾ is placed within the day before the start date:
Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 08.43.23

Itā€™s not a nice Gantt chart anymore, itā€™s a mess. The ā–¾ placement is a bug and needs to be fixed asap.

If you want this release topic to be clean, nice, and positive; acknowledge the issue, take ownership and stop requiring our time to repeat the same message.

For those experiencing this problem, please add your vote and perspective to this new topic: Allow to stack multiple tasks in Timeline on a single line

Thanks!

6 Likes

Yayy thankyou for this team!

Please fix the bug ASAP and report back