Subtasks in timeline

How do I see subtask from a main taks at timeline view, or maybe the total programed time for all tasks?

29 Likes

I asked Asana support the same question. Here was their reply:

When a subtask is created it will not automatically inherit it’s parent task’s Project, and so will not be displayed in Project views (List, Calendar, or Timeline). If you would like to view your subtasks in your Project view, you can do so by going into the subtask details (How to Use Asana subtasks | Product guide • Asana Product Guide) and using Tab+P to open the project field or by going to the upper right drop-down and selecting “Add to Project.” This will put the subtask in your Timeline view as well.

18 Likes

I hope they can automate it so that you don’t have to re-enter the subtask into the project only for you to see it in the timeline.

The problem with adding the subtask into the main project is that it duplicates itself in the list view as a task, and it just doesn’t make sense to do that.

I really hope Asana makes this as an update because for me, it’s important to see the timeline of the subtasks, not just the main task within the project.

90 Likes

Exactly!
Asana you need to fix this ! Just have ability in timeline view to expand/collapse tasks to see their subtasks. Duplicate entries in the list view is not good usability!!!

91 Likes

I ended up here searching for a solution as well. I’m currently trialing Asana to use for a design systems project and I think this is a huge miss. I think you should be able to add sub tasks and there could be some sort of sub-timeline within a project task. So for instance, if I have a task set for Aug 1 - Aug 5, give me an interface that maps out all my sub-tasks within that timeframe and I can adjust them within that.

36 Likes

Any tool anyone might be aware of that can help me with this layout ?

1 Like

+1 to that
If you can have collapsible tasks on timeline, then i should be able to expand and take a look at all the subtasks there just like I see them in the list view, teh only difference here being that you now see bars in the timeline for the subtasks, under their respective parent tasks

37 Likes

+1 and then add 1,000,000. Subtasks in timeline would be a game changer!

40 Likes

Came looking for the same thing. Adding subtasks to the main project is not a viable option and defeats the purpose of having them as subtasks. Please make subtasks visible in Timeline view, Asana!

41 Likes

I’m here for the same thing.

Subtasks should be viewable in timeline view (styled slightly differently so they can be differentiated quickly from main tasks).

This makes project management much simpler. When someone doesn’t get something done for whatever, the entire board can then be shifted including all the subtasks without making List View unreadable.

How long till we get this Asana Team? Is this a P1? Can it be a P1?

:slight_smile:

25 Likes
  • 1 for me too! I’m a brand new user and trying to figure out how to setup projects for optimal use of timeline. I’m probably going to have to bump everything up a level to make everything that generates a dependency a task instead of sub task. I’m going to have a billion projects to start, but would love to compress these at some point
7 Likes

+1.

The timeline is broken without the ability to map subtasks to it.

24 Likes

Adding the ability to view subtask in the timeline will prompt me to upgrade. Till then the timeline feature for me is just another calendar view. Looking forward to the upgrade so I can upgrade too.

5 Likes

Agree. Timeline is useless to me without subtasks. It doesn’t line up with Agile PM, where top-level tasks make the most sense as stories, and sub-tasks make sense as action steps.

8 Likes

Any reply from the Asana team on this yet?
I’m also currently trailing Asana and, even though I love Asana so far, without this feature it’s pretty useless for my purposes.

3 Likes

Hi @Philipp_Oppolzer! Subtasks do not automatically inherit from their parent task project; so in order for your subtasks to appear on your Timeline, you need to manually associate your subtasks to their project by following these steps: How to Create and Use Custom Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide. Once this is done, you will your subtasks on the project Timeline. Hope this helps; let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hey @Marie,
Thanks for the quick response.
This solution was mentioned previously. However, it unnecessarily clutters the list few of the project. The ideal way of dealing with this would be to have, as mentioned by others, an option to expand/collapse subtasks in the time-line few.

12 Likes

Got it @Philipp_Oppolzer! In this case, I’d recommend adding your vote to this thread from the #productfeedback category :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Marie,

I can´t figure out how I can add my vote to this thread. Please advise.

Hi @Roberto1! Simply click on this link to access the #productfeedback thread: Timeline - Schedule Subtasks and click on the blue “Vote” button as seen in the screenshot below:

All the best,

4 Likes