The best emojis for business and work in general

Hi everyone :wave:,

Emojis are not only for young teenagers on Instagram, they are also great to emphasize content or convey information. Don’t we say a picture is worth a thousand words? In Asana, you can add emojis by typing « : » then a word in a task description or comment. But that doesn’t work in task names, project names, team names or custom fields. Here is the little trick to get an emoji keyboard almost anywhere: Ctrl+Cmd+Space on Mac OS, and Windows+. on Windows (or right click, and select “Emoji”)!

Below is a list of emojis and their possible meaning in a work environment. I encourage you to use them as a prefix in team names, project names, task names if that makes sense, and as options in drop-down custom fields!

:rotating_light: Because discourse does not have all the emojis Mac OS has, I am pasting screenshots and not the actual emojis. You can easily find them all in your emojis keyboard.

Capture d’écran 2019-12-23 à 17.20.36 Capture d’écran 2019-12-23 à 17.20.43 Capture d’écran 2019-12-23 à 17.20.49 Capture d’écran 2019-12-23 à 17.20.57

Do you have other cool emojis in mind?

24 Likes

Great post, @Bastien_Siebman! Here are some additions:

Progress:
Get creative with the use of just these two emoji: :black_large_square: :white_large_square: :

Multi-purpose sets:
Some commonly-used groupings:

Status - Comprehensive:
Emoji help convey the meanings of this single custom field that combines both status and progress:

The first two values (Deferred, Not Started) are for before the task/project begins.
The last two values (Achieved, Failed) are for after it’s done.
The four middle values (Off Track, At Risk, On Track, Ahead) are for when it’s in process.

The color codings are carefully done to communicate info: Green = good; Blue = neutral; Red = bad.

Misc.
I keep these practical emoji for work in a single Asana reference task for jarring my memory or helping get creative, and then do a quick copy/paste to use:

Not all translate here to the Community Forum’s editor, and the last row may not work in Asana in all platforms/browsers I think, but here they are directly in this Forum:

:heart: :blue_heart: :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart: :black_heart:
:boom: :globe_with_meridians: :house: :stop_sign: :hourglass_flowing_sand: :stopwatch: :clock230: :sunny: :star: :zap: :droplet: :rainbow: :comet: :fire: :snowflake:
:bell: :no_bell: :musical_note: :blue_book: :email: :pencil2: :file_folder: :open_file_folder: :date: :pushpin: :paperclip: :gear: :warning: :no_entry_sign: :low_brightness: :high_brightness:
:100: :bangbang: :exclamation: :checkered_flag: :white_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :ballot_box_with_check: :x: :negative_squared_cross_mark: :heavy_multiplication_x: :sparkle: :eight_spoked_asterisk: :eight_pointed_black_star:
:arrow_up: :arrow_right: :arrow_down: :arrow_left: :arrow_up_down: :left_right_arrow: :back: :on: :soon::top: :arrow_forward: :arrow_up_small: :arrow_down_small: :arrow_backward: :stop_button: :record_button: :signal_strength:
:black_square_button: :white_square_button: :white_medium_small_square::black_medium_small_square: :white_medium_square: :black_medium_square: :white_large_square: :black_large_square: :large_orange_diamond: :large_blue_diamond: :large_orange_diamond: :diamonds::small_blue_diamond: :small_orange_diamond: :small_red_triangle: :small_red_triangle_down: :red_circle: :white_circle: :black_circle: :large_blue_circle: :o:
*⃣ #⃣ 0⃣ 1⃣ 2⃣ 3⃣ 4⃣ 5⃣ 6⃣ 7⃣ 8⃣ 9⃣ :keycap_ten:

Larry

11 Likes

Wow we could have made a post together :heart_eyes:thanks!

4 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman & @lpb Great work guys, this is awesome. I always struggle with how to best make use of Visuals and especially emoji’s…

Jason.

2 Likes

Great @Bastien_Siebman
Just to complete the tips, you have 2 different solutions with Windows:

• Right click, and select “Emoji”
  • Or use the keyboard shortcut "Windows+.“ (you wrote semicolon but it’s actually point :wink:)
2 Likes

Good contribution @Bastien_Siebman.
Personally I am not very loving emojis in task managers. Maybe it’s because of a form factor, I mean, I love emojis but to communicate in messaging applications.

For professional environments, they are a great visual aid, but I get a lot of variety of shapes and colors.

Maybe I would think differently if you had the option of putting linear icons.
The only symbols I use in asana are star-shaped characters to indicate the level of concentration that some tasks may require.

Captura de pantalla 2020-01-01 a las 20.01.13

A pleasure to read you

Greetings from Barcelona and best wishes for 2020

1 Like

Thanks @Julien_RENAUD for the fix about Windows, I updated my post!

@JMartinez I can definitely understand, even though I do believe they bring fun to work. Asana without any emoji is very “serious” and not fun tu work with. The star idea is a good one!

I just came across this helpful post (though it’s from 2017) and wanted to include it in this thread in case of use:

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 3.45.55 am

Larry

3 Likes

The one thing I would just say is we need some diverse emojis, 2020 and still nothing on Twitter! :-1:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

On Mac OS at least each emoji is available in various skin colors, isn’t that what you need?

I’m an Android/ PC user. I think this was updated though.

Thanks for this interesting information!

thanks for the update!

The ordered status is too relatable nowadays! These are great @Bastien_Siebman

1 Like