šŸ§­ The Asana admin compass

Hi,

When I am helping clients, I always emphasize the importance of having an Asana admin. The admin is the person that knows the tool very well, is able to answer questions, trains the team, and makes sure the org stays clean and organized!

(the French translation is available šŸ§­ Le compas de lā€™administrateur Asana)

I thought it would be interesting to have an ā€œAsana admin compassā€ as a list of tasks to undergo on a regular basis as an admin. FYI I am promoting my own tools because I created it for exactly that purpose: help users go further with Asana.

Mission 1: keep the org clean and nice

• review the list of tags, remove duplicates, challenge colors (using Tags explorer)

• review custom fields, challenge color and text, make sure the drop down are alpha sorted, remove duplicates (using Custom Fields Explorer)

• encourage everyone to have an avatar, a full name and role

• clean subtasks by completing the ones in completed tasks (using Subtasks Cleaner)

• suggest emojis, we never have enough of emojis (some inspiration in The best emojis for business and work in general)

• make sure templates are all in a public team (if applicable)

Mission 2: prevent overwhelming feeling in the team

• review everyoneā€™s My Tasks views and encourage cleaning
  • review overdue tasks using a report
  • encourage Inbox use
  • challenge projects & templates existence and encourage owners to archive
  • audit collaborators on tasks in templates

Mission 3: watch out for data leak

• audit guest access (using Guest Inspector)

• remove ā€œoutdatedā€ guests from the org (using the admin console)

• audit teams and projects privacy settings (public, private, on request) and membership list

• audit task collaborators (if applicable, on some sensitive tasks)

Mission 4: keep the cost under control

• export usage (using the admin console) and remove inactive users to free up seats and downgrade

Mission 5: be the helper they need

• provide a place for Q&A (in the form of a project and/or a form)

• keep a record and share previous questions and answers

• use the Organization export to identify new users (without a proper training)

• use the Organization export to detect decrease in usage (in department, locationā€¦) and investigate

Mission 6: automate as much as possible

Mission 7: define and watch for best practices

For example:

Mission 8: design the Asana systems
Using A framework to evaluate Asana systems

• find the right balance between teams, projects, tasks and subtasks

• use custom fields or tags when appropriate

• design workflows adapted to each need

• ā€¦

Thanks @lpb @LEGGO @Julien_RENAUD for your help. The detailed list now includes more than 50 points of control, reach out to me to get it.

35 Likes

@Julien_RENAUD I am curious to have your feedback on this, since youā€™ve had this role for a while!

2 Likes

Bravo, @Bastien_Siebman, excellent post - really valuable suggestions.

4 Likes

This is just amazing @Bastien_Siebman! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :clap:t3: great content! thanks for organizing all this useful information in one thread. Itā€™s very clear and well organized. THANK YOU :trophy:

4 Likes

Thank @Bastien_Siebman. This is a great idea and thanks for creating this collection.

3 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman you are the king of posts, man! Thanks for being such an awesome contributor!!! You definitely raise the bar, my friend.

3 Likes

Great post Bastien, one more :+1:

One thing I regularly check: Team privacy, to warn people who created a public team instead of a private one.
And as you mentioned I use a lot the export to clear unused accounts, but I also use this file to detect new users, more particularly new users in location where I have not yet trained an expert. The idea is to accompany them as soon as possible :wink:

3 Likes

Another thing again with the export file: I use it to have the login rate of each team, each location of the company, so that I can see the evolution and contact them if the rate decreases to understand whatā€™s wrong. This export file is so useful :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Great post, @Bastien_Siebman!

I agree with many of the bullets but not all (of course!).

Missing, I think, are:

• Verify Team and project access (privacy) settings (Julien only mentioned Team)
  • Prune Team and project membership lists
  • Prune Task collaborator lists
  • Encourage Asana Inbox use and managment

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman another name for this would be a ā€œPreventative Maintenance Checklistā€. I plan to take what you have built and design a project with recurring tasks that that helps me (and others), as the custodians of Asana for our business, maintain a clear and constructive environment.

What about management of Project Templates? Ensuring they live in a dedicated public project for all to see. Also, I have found it is important to ensure who has joined the template or are collaborators within tasks. Depending on who uses the template, those users may not want to be notified of the creation and activity associated with a project built from a template.

You mentioned users having an avatar and name. Iā€™d suggest also a common title. This can be very useful when you need to filter a workflow by job function or role.

2 Likes

Thanks to all, I am updating right now.

Could you point out which ones you donā€™t agree with?

I went with a more ā€œmarketableā€ name so I and other can find it again easily (compass for the win)

1 Like

I definitely appreciate this overall; in addition to the four bullets to add in my earlier reply (thanks for incorporating those already), those I feel differently about are:

• The name ā€œAsana Adminā€ may be a negative to some companies, particularly smaller ones; ā€œAsana Expertā€ is more of a positiveā€“who wouldnā€™t want that role, and management might be less about a new ā€œadminā€ effort to fund. Sometimes I use ā€œTrainerā€ (where I train the Trainer), talk about needing someone to shepherd projects, or ā€œAmbassadorā€ if appropriate.
  • My Tasks: Often needs a fast, wholesale cleaning using multi-select
  • Tags: Often not used enough to warrant cleaning
  • Smaller and more static orgs may not require the three bullets related to the admin console export file auditing
  • Emoji: Most mortals may prefer to use 90% fewer emoji than you require :smile: Happy World Emoji Day :world_map:

But these are nitpicksā€“great job!

Larry

1 Like

Yep! I agree, great name as is. Just offering perspective.

Asana Maestro Cheatsheet? :slight_smile: :musical_score:

I did not really want the post to be filled with ā€œif applicableā€ ā€œoptionalā€ or ā€œthat dependsā€ :sweat_smile:

They are wrong =)

2 Likes

Love everything you stated here! Doing a lot of that! Good idea on having a Q&A project! Duh to me! :raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

We kept improving the list with @Julien_RENAUD after working with several clients, and we now have more than 50 items to check both at setup and on a regular basis. If you are interested in getting access, you can contact me in a private message.

2 Likes

Hey @Bastien_Siebman !
Just got to read this post. Very nice and instructive!

Congrats!

2 Likes

Excellent compass :compass:

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman this is a fabulous list! I am wondering if you or any other Asana Super Admins have an updated list for a large enterprise instance of Asana. How are you managing your instance with over 7000 users? Anyone out there with over 10K users on a global level? Let me hear from you and your tips, tricks, best practices, pain points, wish list and lets up vote some solutions to our Asana product team as we all continue to grow and our needs expand.

1 Like