Reference numbers for tasks

Phil, are you still able to provide instructions for setting up your zaps for auto-numbering in Asana? If so, I’m interested. Thank you!

@jeremyw,

Oh boy, it’s been a while now - I should have documented it back when I initially did it. I’ll see if I can dig it up!

I tried this product of yours and it does not appear to be working.

1 Like

Looks like I got it to work - Sweet!

Hi Maggie, I am giving it a try. How long before the numbers populate? Its been some time.

Hi Maggie, What is the wait time on the numbers showing up? I am trying now.

Glad you were able to get it to work. For anyone else that might be having issues, you can follow the steps on our video here:

Erik, I just sent you an e-mail as well. If you could, reply back and we can discuss why they might not be showing up for you. It usually takes about 5 seconds or so for the number to appear.

Any way to get previous tasks numbered also? Just seems it is for new ones.

Yes we can. However we only do that after setting up a subscription. We can then go through and apply a number to any open tasks.

Well, well. We might finally have a solution folks! I’ll be back to you Maggie.

Thanks,

Erik

Another basic functionality missing from Asana. Is it possible to implement? You just need to make it visible on the edit task screen and searchable.

1 Like

I met with the Asana team when they were in Seattle recently and this was a common request. Please implement asap as this makes it much easier to track tasks with teams.

2 Likes

@Phil_Seeman were you ever able to dig up those zaps for generating task IDs because it would be a great workaround for now, if you’d be able to send to me.

Thanks!

@KarenV @jeremyw
OK I dug this up - here is what I did to generate unique IDs using Zapier.

1. Create a Google Sheet, let’s call it Asana Numbering, with these 3 columns headings:

2. Create a Zap, let’s call it Create New Auto-Number Spreadsheet Row. The overview of steps is:

Build Step 1 like this:

Under “Customize Task”, you’ll select the project where you want the tasks to be uniquely numbered.

Build Step 2 like this:

What this Zap will do is create a new row in the sheet for every new task added to the selected project. So for example, after I entered 3 tasks, this is what the sheet looked like:

3. Create a second Zap, let’s call it Update Asana Task with Auto-Number. Its overview looks like this:

Build Step 1 like this:

Build Step 2 like this:

Note especially the Name field above. I’m taking a pretty simple approach of just using the row number of the sheet as the unique number of the task, and I’m prepending it to the task name in square brackets. So in Asana, you end up with tasks like this:

You could get fancier, though, by using the “Unique Number” column which I included in the sheet but didn’t use in my simple example. You could build a formula into the sheet that populates that column with something formatted in a more complex way than just the row number; then instead of using “Row Number” in the “Name” field of the last Zap screen, you would select to insert that “Unique Number” column.

Let me know if you have any question about the above!

2 Likes

Wow I really need to create some kind of directory to list smart zaps people are building!!! What do you think Phil?

1 Like

Not a bad idea!

2 Likes

Just stumbled upon this thread after Googling a bit around, check out https://astogi.com

Although aimed to send Git commit notifications to specific Asana tasks it does assign unique task numbers automatically. Also, it is free to use.

Disclaimer: I am the developer of the tool and created it to scratch my own itch. :slight_smile: I am always looking for feedback, so if you have any please let me know. A discount for fellow Asana users is something that can be talked about!

3 Likes

Hi, its April 2020 now. Just thought I’d chime in that this is still highly sought after, and a major pain point. If our company wasn’t already too invested into Asana, this would have ended our consideration.

The solutions with third parties are interesting, but not something anyone needs to engage in with Asana’s competitors.

3 Likes

Without them it’s impossible to verbally communicate the specific task you are referencing. One shouldn’t be required to communicate in writing (via sharing a link to the tasks) at all times.

1 Like