Forms are now even more powerful and customisable!

Hi everyone,

Just about a year ago, we were introducing Forms in Asana for the very first time and today I’m delighted to announce that we’re adding new features to Forms, making them even more powerful and customisable :tada:

Available to Premium/Business/Enterprise plan

• Improved custom field mapping:

You can now connect your form questions to specific custom fields in your project. This option also allows you to map the date question in your form to the due date field of the task.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 14.23.00

Available to Business/Enterprise

• Branching:

With this new feature, you can create follow-up questions based on the response you’re getting to your first question, to ensure that you get all the information you need to effectively triage the work request.

• Header customization:

This new option allows you to add an image to the top of your form so folks filling up your form know that they’re in the right place, completing the right form.

• Submitter message customization:

You can now update the default confirmation message that displays after a form is submitted. This is particularly handy to provide your colleague/customers with more detailed information about the next steps following the form submission.

Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 14.24.42

Available to Enterprise only

• Custom branding:

If you have uploaded a logo to your Asana instance via the Admin console, you will have the option to display this logo on your forms.

We’re rolling out this update gradually, so don’t worry if you can’t access these features just yet, they will be available to everyone within the next couple of days/weeks!

As always, feel free to post your questions in the comments below and if you have any feedback, you can share it with our team using this form!

We hope you’ll enjoy the new features in Forms! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Great improvement! Looks amazing and opens new possibilities

2 Likes

@Emily_Roman Great updates! Can we have more than 1 form in a project yet? That’s really our biggest bottleneck with forms! We collect info from a client at project launch, and again once we’re deeper in.

2 Likes

No, that’s not part of this set of forms updates.

However, if you’re on Business or Enterprise, you can perhaps achieve something similar with Branching.

And whether you can use that new feature or not, you should vote for the multiple-forms request if you haven’t yet:

4 Likes

We achieve this with automation and one buffer project.

So Project A is the real project with Form A
We create a hidden Project B with Form B with automation (Task Added to Project B > Add to Project A). This will work if you are ok that every single entry creates a new task.
Another example is how we do it:

• we have 4 sales projects - equipment, software, consumables and services
  • on the website we have 100 categories, say 20 categories for equipment, etc.
  • we have 100 buffer projects with 100 different forms, since we want each form not be general but tightly specific to the category
  • once filled in each form creates a task in the relative project but automation puts it in the right project of the 4 main ones.
  • now with branching this can be substantially easier, but the logic is the same

We use a lot of those “buffer projects” go get away from the limitations of 20 automation rules per projects, etc. We would automatically add a task to multiple projects, where some of them are only “fake” so they can add more automation rules, more custom fields, etc.

If you want to have Form A > Creates Task A in Project A and you want Form B to add info to Task A, this in theory could be achieved via Zapier, but you will need a paid plan and also you will need a lot of steps and good structure of the information.

4 Likes

Hey @Emily_Roman great news and some interesting new stuff. We are working with the Enterprise plan. But what I really need is: The person submitting a form will be automatically a follower of the task. Why? Because then I can follow the status of my requests much easier. What I do now: Every time I submit a form (e.g. design team) I have to go back to asana, find the task through the name I submitted and set myself manually as a follower. Is there a reason why this features hasn’t been introduced for over a year now? Isn’t that a quite common request from users?

2 Likes

Hi @Anselm_Bellia, welcome to the Community Forum!

As it stands, it is not possible to automatically add the form submitter as a collaborator of the task created from a Form. If you are the project owner and need to be a collaborator of all form submissions, you can create a rule that add you as collaborator of all tasks added to the project. I understand this won’t work if you’d like to be added as collaborator of your submissions only.

We know how much our community would like to see this feature in Forms and this is definitely something we’re keeping in mind! We have more plans coming for Forms, so stay tuned :raised_hands:

We have a request in our product feedback category for this feature. I’d also suggest you to upvote here: Automatically Adding Task Collaborators via Asana Forms.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hi all!

Just a quick update to let you know this update is available to all our customers! :tada:

For more information on how to use these features, check out our Asana Guide:

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Emily_Roman I would be interested to know whether the introduction of Branching will allow for some more customization options with Forms. This product update really creates a path to gather more information within a singular form. With that, I could see some benefits to grouping questions, adding line breaks, and other things of that nature.

1 Like

Hi @LEGGO, this is a very good question, we’ll definitely look for more customization options with Forms. This is our first shot at Branching and based on your feedback we will work on some iterations after this update, so thanks for sharing your experience with us!

I’ve taken note of all the feedback shared so far, but if you’d like to share more I’d highly recommend this feedback form or creating a new thread in our #productfeedback category :slight_smile: Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks for taking note and passing them on. I need to be better about leveraging the feedback forms so I don’t wear you out! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi. Maybe I missed this in this thread, but what is the ideal image size for the cover image?

1 Like

I’d also like to know the ideal image size for the cover image

Hi @Crystal_Alifanow and @Christella_Jeanjaque! The header image size limit is 800x120. If the header image is larger we scale down the image to 800 px wide and crop 120 px below the top of the image.

3 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

Looks like the update has not yet hit our account. When do you expect the roll out to be complete?

Hi @Joe_Moran, this update is fully rolled out, but not all features are available with all plans. We’ve indicated this in our initial announcement so I’d recommend taking another look at the first post of this thread!

Thanks, @Marie. I read the announcement. We are on a business plan…

@Joe_Moran,

In this case, I’d recommend reaching out directly to our support team who’ll be able to take a look into this for you! If possible I’d recommend sharing some screenshots illustrating your issue too as it will help speeding things up!