💡 Why and when use task templates

Asana recently introduced the concept of task templates: you can now create, in a project, a list of « task examples » and when creating a task in that project, you can pick from your list of templates.

At first, my reactions was: I don’t really need task templates. And when looking at the feature more closely, I realized there actually were many possible use cases for them!

Here is a list of ideas:

• :bulb: have a template with a specific set of collaborators, e.g. the entire marketing team

• :bulb: have a template with a complex description, e.g. list of questions to ask a lead

• :bulb: have a template with many subtasks that you usually create manually, e.g. steps to write a blog post

• :bulb: have a template that pre-defined values for custom fields, e.g. pipeline stage for a lead and most common origin and country

• :bulb: have a template that defines a specific due date based on the creation date, e.g. a bug always has to be fixed within 2 days

• :bulb: standardize a task for repeated use (thanks @lpb) because sometimes you just want to ensure consistency

• :bulb: of course the template can mix all those ideas!

Any other ideas?

Side note from @lpb:

assignment in the template task, or subtasks of it, will not result in the appearance of the task/subtask in the assignee’s My Tasks. That won’t happen until instantiaion of the task template into an actual task.

:fr: Version française

8 Likes

@Julien_RENAUD @Chloe_TEMPLIER_HOPAL @Solene_Verhaeghe @Phil_Seeman @lpb @Jerod_Hillard I’d love your insights! Let’s build a list of all task templates use cases!

1 Like

Those are all good uses. I think the main general use case is standardizing a task for repeated use.

It’s worth pointing out that assignment in the template task, or subtasks of it, will not result in the appearance of the task/subtask in the assignee’s My Tasks. That won’t happen until instantiaion of the task template into an actual task. It’s a true template, unlike project templates which cause the assignment immediately.

Larry

3 Likes

Thanks @lpb , can you double check my edit of the post?

1 Like

You’re good @Bastien_Siebman, I’m trying to think of other ideas, but it seems you’ve already identified them all :grinning:

You can also create milestone template, though.

1 Like

Hi @Bastien_Siebman this must be done inside a project? I manage all my personal tasks with no project attached so I couldn’t use tasks templates is it ?