Timeline - Option to Hide Completed Tasks

Like the standard task list view, I would like to to hide close tasks in the Timeline view. This would provide a more succinct view of current/planned work.

Having a timeline is a huge step forward and I applaud this development. Now I just need to find out how to hide completed tasks when viewing the timeline. Any ideas?

10 Likes

Agree! It would be great if we could hide completed tasks on the timeline.

6 Likes

Also agree, hoping the view filter gets implemented for timeline like it is for lists!

4 Likes

Does anyone know if this was implemented, i would love to see only incompleted tasks in timeline. thanks

3 Likes

No, I have not heard that this was done and I assume we’d get an update in this thread.

No news on this? I think this is a horrible implementation of something that should be very useful. But as it is now, all completed tasks are making timeline and calendar almost useless. This, together with the lack of good user permission customization, are actually real deal breakers for us. I plan on starting to try out other programs this week.

The not-so-satisfying workaround I’ve chosen, to keep my timelines useable and uncluttered with completed tasks, is to periodically move completed tasks from my “Panda” project to “Panda Parking Lot”. Most busy projects have acquired their own Parking Lots, and that’s where I move tasks that I just don’t want to see - either because they’re completed, or incomplete but low priority or otherwise not actionable or important.

This workaround breaks the progress graph, of course…that price is worth it to keep timelines useable.

1 Like

Where are we at with this? Should be simple to just check the complete status before rendering the calader or timeline. I definitely need to hide completed tasks from the timeline view or its hard to tell what’s left to do in complex projects.

2 Likes

Hello Community,

New here so officially “hi”, and a first post.
Perhaps I’m missing something but I can’t seem to figure out how to use timeline to view a project and only see incomplete tasks ? - I can always see the completed (faded) + incomplete tasks, making the timeline unnecessarily cluttered. Tried changing task views in list/calendar view to no avail.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Lars

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @Meakin.

The ability to filter tasks on Timeline is not yet available, and I’m going to move this thread to the “Product Feedback” category so we can capture this request and feedback for the Product team to consider developing in the future.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi,

Any news on this topic? Only view Incomplete tasks on the Timeline.

Thank you

1 Like

I would like to see the ability to be able to at least toggle the display of complete tasks on the timeline. I have a use case in the way that I’m using Asana it would be beneficial to only see the the incomplete ones.

This ability, and the ability to include sub-tasks, as discussed here https://forum.asana.com/t/timeline-schedule-subtasks/19065 would greatly benefit my adoption of Asana.

Thanks.

2 Likes

With the new useful timeline (sort by due date), being able to hide completed tasks is even more important. This needs implementing asap please!

3 Likes

Hi there,
hopefully the filter to hide completed task would be released soon, as more and more we’re using the timelines, there is plenty of tasks that we would prefer not to see, in order to focus on what’s to do next :slight_smile:

1 Like

To avoid cluttering up of timelines with completed tasks, my not-so-enjoyable workaround is to periodically move completed tasks from, say, the “Panda” project to “Panda Parking Lot”. This can be done as a bulk operation in List view.

Asana, please do listen up: FILTERING IS FUNDAMENTAL. And as you recognize in other screens, the filter of Incomplete vs. Completed is one of the most needed. Timeline is no exception to that general rule.

4 Likes

As a compromise, you could just make the list view filters apply to the timeline, this way you dont need to change the ui. So you only need one developer to do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

We currently have a “Calendar” Project that we are using as a Gantt Chart to track Sales and website changes in Timeline view. What I would like to do is be able to filter out completed tasks so that I don’t have to scroll down to see tasks and so that I can see everything in one view if possible. I can’t find a way to filter for this in this view. Do any of you have any suggestions or ideas on how I can do this?

Best,
Tiffany

If you play with the view settings of the project (top right corner) to only see Incomplete tasks, does it have an effect on the Timeline?

Hi @TiffanyS :wave:t3:

Unfortunately, as it stands it is not possible to filter out Completed Tasks in your Timeline.
I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this thread from our #productfeedback category and I’d recommend clicking on the Vote button at the top of this page to officially record your vote.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!