Subtask due dates for Recurring Parent Tasks

Hey everyone!
I couldn’t find this specific topic in the Asana Slack or Community Forum search, so I’m hoping I can get some community assistance.

I have a recurring (monthly) meeting task and I’m trying to set a rule to create subtasks for the new occurrence as well as due dates (# days before due date) each subtask. For example, when the new meeting task populates for August 15th, I want to run a rule that will create subtasks to 1) create an agenda 7 days before and 2) send the agenda 3 days before the meeting.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Christian_LaCour

So as it stands for recurring tasks when the new task is created the due date of the subtasks stays as per Recurring tasks and subtask dates

Now for your case a possible workaround could be to think of a specific rule trigger such as tasks added in a special section or depending on a specific custom field selection, or task assigned to somebody specific and based on the trigger it will then add the subtasks

Screenshot_578

Now bare in mind that rules on subtasks won’t work yet and setting up time for subtasks you can only select due in so that means you would have to assign the main task with an earlier due date so the subtasks are allocated accordingly.

And then when an action is done on the subtask you could move the task to another section so a new rule triggers to update the main task due date or you just update it.

Another option is using only main tasks and working with stages or use a tool such as Flowsana which has more rule features for subtasks also: Applying rules to a subtasks using flowsana - #4 by Phil_Seeman

Thank you, Andrea! This is super helpful. Yeah, I was racking my brain trying to figure out how I could make this work, but I will check out these links and use your workaround for my case.

Do you know if there are any plans on making rule updates to allow for “days before” instead of “days after”? Also, as I’m still pretty new here, is there a place to suggest such an update or improvement in the Community Forum?

Thanks again for all your help!

1 Like

Hello @Christian_LaCour great to hear the above was helpful.

I have also found this feedback request thread that might be interesting for you to upvote: Subtask relative due dates based on parent task start/completion date

To create a new different one you can do so in the product feedback section: Product Feedback - Asana Forum

Not really sure as Asana does not have a public roadmap but they constantly work on improving things and launching new features so I have hopes for this as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.