Subtasks automating dated backward from due date

Super excited to see some updates on the subtask rules. Being able to add them to different projects has really helped our team!

One thing we do a lot of is using the due date of the parent task as the deliverable date and the subtasks go backward from the due date. Will subtasks be able to do that soon in the rule? Years ago you could do negative dates, but it seems to be gone in Asana now. This would be AMAZING!

Workflow:
Form submitted
Parent task is set to due date that was selected on the form and connected to the due date on the task
Subtasks then populate the dates for when those are due in relation to the parent task due date

Hi @KimberlyAnn_DiCredic!

Just FYI, this capability is available in the “Add subtasksFlowsana rule action.

@Phil_Seeman Thanks! I have to build those tasks though and pull them from asana right? I can’t build the subtasks in the “customize” section?

The phantom tasks for some reason REALLY confuse people so trying to keep that to a limited group who can comprehend them.

@KimberlyAnn_DiCredic,

That’s correct.

Yeah, I get your point about having them right in the Customize section vs. in another “template” project somewhere else. You just have to decide about the downside of having them “hidden” vs. the upside of the ability to set relative subtasks dates from the parent’s due date!

Upvoting this (x 100 if I could)! It seems like an obvious feature necessary to deadline-based tasks.

1 Like

Or even having the drop down start date of the subtasks be the date of the parent task instead of having to scroll out 1-2 years in advance for EVERY single subtask. Because the “work back” is really what everyone is using to set dates for subtasks.

2 Likes