Recurring tasks and subtask dates

tasks

I’ve been testing recurring tasks and I have the parent task working the way I want it but the subtask due dates don’t get updated, they stay the same. So the new task is created with subtasks that have dates that don’t make sense/are already overdue.

Recurring task and subtasks due date link
Recurring task and subtasks due date link

@Peter_Ross Yes this is how it works and yes I feel your frustration. He is a post on this with some possible work arounds;
https://forum.asana.com/t/expense-reimbursement-reoccurring-task/1808

and this one;

Hope these help.

Jason.

Thanks @Jason_Woods. Looks like it’s a common problem with no one right solution. Cheers!

Same problem in our team here.

For my company we have been experimenting with Asana in multiple ways. One of the things we tried to do is to check the behaviour of subtasks under a recurring master task to see the influence on the due dates. Unfortunately it turns out the influence is exactly zero.

To clarify:
Master task: “MT” Due July third (recurring monthly)
- Subtask 1: Due July first
- Subtask 2: Due July second

The idea was that after recurring, the MT would prepare ST1 and ST2 and ‘carry’ the due dates along based on the due date of the MT.

So on the next recurrence, MT would have the due date August third, ST1 due August first, ST2 due August second. Unfortunately it turns out that the due date does not seem to travel along on subtasks. Only the Main Task’s due date changes.

Is there something we are missing? If not, are there any plans to add a coupling between MT’s and ST’s due dates in the manner described above? Because as it stands now it appears that recurring tasks and subtasks are incompatible when using due dates.

As of today, a task (or subtask) due date is never influenced by anything else…

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

Hi @Remco! @Bastien is right, as it stands, setting “MT” to repeat every month won’t automatically update “MT” subtasks due date; this would have to be done manually I’m afraid.

I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Recurring tasks and subtask dates as it covers the same topic. There are also some workaround available here: Expense Reimbursement Reoccurring Task 174

Hope this helps!