Prevent Users from Deleting Tasks

If restricting deletes of others tasks is too restrictive, then a better solution would be to build a deleted items bin that everyone in the project can view and recover from. It should show who deleted the item and when. Also there should not be a permanently delete option unless you’re an admin, or unless you were the one that created the item you deleted.

2 Likes

Patrick - can you please share with me the details of your solution? (I’m a little new to the Asana forums, and I can’t figure out to DM - I may be limited).

@Brian_MacKenzie: So sorry, I did not see your reply. Please email me lorenz @ pgk . de

Hi ,

I am a news user and was deliberating with the same problem .

while i could’nt find a way in Asana Basic version to prevent other users from deleting the task , but if they delete the task both myself and them get notified in email about deletion . At least by this we have a clear information on who deleted and when.

Hope this workaround helps till the time Asana builds a proper solution .

How can i hear about your tool?

This remains an absolute joke. For whatever reason, in Asana, being an Admin provides no additional power to remove problematic users or recover what they may have done. It would be nice if Asana ever actually looked into this, as many people over the internet have taken issue with this and have even left the platform because of it.

Adding my vote here.
If I delegate a task to an assignee, I do not want that person being able to delete the task without:

1. Me being notified in my inbox
  2. The delegate being prevent from deleting without a warning it was a task I gave them
  3. the delegate being prevented from permanently deleting my task
1 Like

Hi.

Not all users who work in team have professional mindset. I will request for a feature were the assigner of Task can lock deleting of task / subtask / attachment for other user. We can have a small lock icon near task / subtask / attachment which the assigner can click to enable. If the assignee edits something then trail of that edit must be recorded and shown in the window.

Please do this otherwise in emerging countries like India it will be very difficult to use.

Welcome to the Forum @Dushyant_Singh and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

We already have a thread on this topic in the Forum, so I have gone ahead and merged this post with the main thread to consolidate feedback and votes. I hope that’s OK.

In the meantime If you are using the Premium version I would recommend you to have a look into these articles that might be helpful:

I also leave here the guide article that explains how to restore deleted items: https://asana.com/guide/help/tasks/actions#gl-undelete-task

I hope it helps! Have a great Thursday!

@Natalia where can we make the proper request for changes to the software? The ability to prevent users from deleting tasks/images/even changing dates should only be acceptable from a Team Leader standpoint. The manager of the team should be the only one with these powers. Thoughts??

Hi @John_Lennon! :wave: and thank you for reaching out.

You can always submit a feature request or a feedback in the #productfeedback category. You can learn more about it in this post.

With that said, this feature request has been submitted in this thread and I’m aware this is really important to you and to other users who have engaged in this thread and while I don’t have an update to share today, rest ensured that that I’m keeping a close eye on the situation and will make sure to give you an update as soon as I have more information about it.

Have a great Friday!

Please implement this feature. This is basic and critical. The lack of functionality for controlling deletions or edits is very basic.