How do you control/restrict your employees?

We are having a little bit of trouble with asana being so open/lacking advanced roles. How do you deal with this?

We are running the “everyone is Editor” setup right now. I also experimented with the “can comment” role, but it is either way too restricted or open for what I need.

So far, everyone can delete, add, or fiddle anything. Which makes me a bit nervous.

Would be glad for any tips & tricks.

Hi,

Indeed it can feel weird if your company is used to protecting everything. My main advice would be to train people properly and explain the permissions and how Asana works. Just like you do not take folders on someone else’s desk and burn them, you do not delete someone else’s tasks ^^

You can also have some private teams, private projects, and some projects with comment-only to restrict part of the team members on part of the projects.

Do you have specific examples of what went wrong?

3 Likes

Hey,
thank you for your reply.

It is tough to describe what went wrong. Pretty much nothing. Only… every time I try to improve/clean something, I run into this lack of tools. We are running asana without a problem, it just always feels a bit unfinished and messy.

It has possibly something to do with the philosophy you are not accustomed to. Don’t hesitate to ask specific questions here!

If you can spread some articles with proper “case studies” or generally about asana philosophy and its implementations, would be great.

I already went through the official documentation and some nice articles, such as:
Asana Implementation Process: Best practices and lessons learned from different companies .

So any more of this kind would be great! :slight_smile:

I don’t have anything sorry. Maybe other forum leaders do! @Ambforumleader

1 Like

(Forum Leaders did you know about this alias? :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Hi @Bastien_Siebman - I did not know about this! Very cool :slightly_smiling_face:

@Vítek_Prchal - I have recently started with Asana and attempting to implement with my team. We also have users that we prefer have limited access. I am the Project Manager, so have control over task and project assignments. Private projects and/or portfolios work well, as you can invite only those people performing the work as full editors. Others, outside your organization, or those that don’t need to make changes, can be comment only.

Initially, you can update your settings to receive notifications on all changes to projects, so there are no surprises. Once you are comfortable with your teams’ knowledge, identify some team leaders. Then begin delegating some of the oversight work to them. Trust me, you will not want to receive notifications on everything for very long! :grimacing:

I realize it is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, but the more you work with Asana the more useful you will find the program.

Best of luck!

Hello @Vítek_Prchal! :wave:

To address you desire for more use case specific implementation, make sure to check out the Use Case section of the forums here. There are tons of great posts with advice on how to use Asana in different ways and for different companies. Also, using the search feature on the forums is another useful way to see if anyone else has made a post about a topic your interested in learning more about. This has saved me a lot of time in the past by reading through the posts of others instead of fiddling with Asana and trying to figure out best practices on my own.

Also, you probably have come across it before but just in case you haven’t, the Asana Guide is a treasure trove of fantastics information! One section you might find useful is the Ways to Use Asana section.

Lastly, I think @Bastien_Siebman gave great advice about asking specific questions on the forum. If you cant find anything that already addresses your question on the forum or on the guide then post it on here! It’s rare that forum posts don’t get replies so I can all but guarantee that you will get some great answers to your questions if you post them on here!

Hopefully this helps you but if there is more we can do let us know!

Cheers!
Matt

Hi Bastien, It would be really great to have functionality where you can have “comment only” for top level tasks on a project board, but still allow task assignees to update, revise, or add sub tasks to their assigned tasks only. When a task assignee updates, revises, or adds sub tasks the owner of the board would automatically get notified. As Vitek says, it is either way too restricted or way too open. I don’t want to rely on everyone being trained properly. If Asana had this functionality, task owners would have a “light touch” and be easy to train. The top level project manager should own the project, and task owners own their tasks. Is Asana working on this? If not you should.

Thanks, Scott

I don’t know, they don’t communicate publicly on roadmaps. I agree the permissions might not be granular enough. But if they would, the tool would be harder to use as well…

Thanks Bastien. Are Ambassadors and Forum Leaders affiliated with Asana or independent? How does Asana get feedback from the user community to improve their product?

Agree, as you said. I don’t expect anything like that tho. This is the exact same situation I’m having with google shared drives. Those roles are either way too restricted or allowed to do everything. Guess it’s just too big of a niche to be cared about.

Hey, thanks for you reply.
I’m going through those materials slowly. They help somehow. Espicially 2017/18 seems to be the Asana gold era. :slight_smile:

It’s a bit surprising that app like asana doesn’t have any clear description of its generall frame, phylosophy or best case studies easily available.

1 Like

We are independent, but we talk with Asana every month and get access to insights about the roadmap for example.

They read the forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I did not…

Thanks Bastien. I disagree that have a third option “can edit assigned tasks” would make using Asana harder. I would use it all the time. When I have a project with many different people assigned tasks, I don’t want task owners messing with the the top level board and adding or deleting tasks, but I want them owning the tasks they are assigned. If they want something added or deleted they can do that through the board owner. Please suggest this when talking with the folks from Asana.

Hey @Vítek_Prchal,

I can kind of understand the concerns you are having :slight_smile: When we started using Asana in our company years ago and I helped with the set-up and monitoring I was concerned about this too. I am kind of a bit of a freak when it comes to organizing things and want to ensure everything is done properly.

How our system works at the moment:

• Before giving team members access to key projects such as let’s say “Main Marketing Project” I would highly recommend that they get familiar with Asana as much as possible. Asana has many great guides online + on top of that I created specific videos about our Asana set-up and structures since every company handles processes differently.

• I also gave everybody their own project so they can test out various things. Now with the improved “My Task” function, this might not be needed anymore. Yet so far I always felt this has been great for team members, also because one of the main rules everybody knew was that “A task not in Asana does not exist”, same for “A task not added to a project is no properly created task”

Now, why did we put so much emphasis on this? Because if somebody ads a task only to their task list and it does not exist in any project then nobody else was able to see the task, except for the task followers.

• Whoever joins our team has a coordinator by their side. Not only to provide guidance for their tasks but also Asana guidance. Now, these coordinators are trained for everything related to Asana and if they have any concerns or questions they would come to me in our case.

• The coordinators would then have notifications enabled for all the projects they are responsible for.

Reason: This way for every single task that is added to Asana they can make sure:

-that the task title is proper (we don’t want short task titles such as “attend to sheet”, a task title has
to explain what it is about in order to also locate it super easy via search, especially when other team members are trying to locate something or checking to see whether a task with the same topic exists already)
-that the task is added to the correct project
-that the task has a detailed description of what needs to be done
-that the task has the relevant followers added
-that the task is assigned and has a due date added as well

• When the coordinators spot something that should be changed they would update the task accordingly and notify the relevant team member.
    This is done as long as the team member is familiar with everything and detailed monitoring is no longer needed
    Then the coordinator would disable the notifications for some projects but leave them on for to key projects they are monitoring and responsible for.

• Then for certain processes, we have task leaders who report to the coordinator. For these tasks, the task leader is responsible for monitoring and updating accordingly. They would also monitor other team members involved to ensure Asana is used accordingly.

• I am also sending monthly newsletters to our team with updates covering our projects and also Asana tips and tricks and new features.

• On top of that, I am also in a group chat with all coordinators where I regularly share reminders, usage tips related to coordination which include Asana as well. So let’s say I spot a serious error I would point that out there and I would do the same if I spot a really well set up task. This way they get constant reminders which are important to ensure things are running smoothly

So far this structure has worked out quite well to be honest. Sometimes I would just do some random checks to ensure everything is okay.

Also in Asana you can always see when somebody changes the due date, description, etc so in the worst case you can change things back.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I am not saying this specific request would, I am saying the millions of requests would if Asana said yes to everything :slight_smile:

I agree that having some more granular permission control would be a great thing. We’ve run into problems with a user taking it upon himself to change due dates when they don’t suit him. (Yes, I know this is totally a training issue but it would be nice to know that important dates are locked down and can’t be changed without a supervisor knowing.)