Indicate number of monthly rule actions (in Admin Console for legacy tiers)

With Asana’s recent announcement to the changes of their product tiers, and in particular, the limits on the amount of actions that rules can perform per month( which will be enforced as of 2025), it would be great if Asana could provide, from now, an indication in the Admin console of how many rule actions an organization is actually triggering each month.

I am curious (and anxious) for numerous clients of mine that have hundreds of rules running each month. But without knowing if they are already surpassing the 25k limit for Advanced (legacy Business), I feel we are kind of in the dark. By understanding the current usage early on though, will enable teams (and Asana Solutions partners like myself, who work with clients) to best prepare for the forced migration to the new Asana tiers. I know 2025 may seem far away, but it’s really just around the corner!

Could Asana please add a feature in the Admin Console, for all legacy customers, that will simply indicate the current usage of rules , similar to how it currently does for users on the new tiers, as per below snip? (but without the limitation warnings, and instead some advice on how to prepare perhaps)

Alternatively, perhaps someone could build a clever tool for this?
@Bastien_Siebman , @lpb , @Phil_Seeman ? :thinking:

8 Likes

Rules are not available in the API…

I voted; thanks.

Hack alert:

You could certainly add a rule action to every frequently-used rule to do the tally.

For example you could create a new task each time in a “counter” project and show the number of tasks in that project in its dashboard. One project for each thing to count.

If the rule you’re counting does one action, create one task; two actions, creat two tasks

You’d probably want to age off the tasks monthly.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

@lpb The problem with that approach is the additional action to create the task is in itself going to count against the total. Of course you could take that into account mentally when looking at the dashboard, but it might cause you to reach the limit twice as fast or so, right?

PS: I voted!

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman, Yes, the idea was to use this before the rule is enforced so it doesn’t matter if you chalk up more actions and reach the limit sooner. Of course you should stop it when the limit is enforced in 2025!

But it doesn’t overcount so no need to take anything into account with the dashboard; it will be accurate. My scheme lets you control the tally, so you make it one tick for every single-action rule, two ticks for each dual-action rule. (That’s actions other than this “counting” action.) Genius! (Or deranged!) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah OK, understood, @lpb . Yes, genius!

3 Likes

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I had a specific question about the rule limit you all might be helpful with. If I have a rule that has actions that create a number of subtasks or approvals, does each subtask/approval count as an action or is it just the number of boxes in the “Do This” category?

See annotated screen shot, would this rule be 5 actions or 7 actions?

My understanding is it’s the number of action boxes that fire, so 5 in your example.

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

Yes 100%

2 Likes