How to restrict the mention list to the project team

Hi,

I’m trying to onboard a 3rd party company into my organization which has multiple internal teams and projects already. I figure the security settings for pretty much everything, however, I don’t seem to have an option to restrict the list of mentions to the team assigned to a specific project. Is there any way to tweak the settings to accomplish that?

Thank you!

5 Likes

Great question, @Henrique_Carvalho_Co.

To clarify, are you talking about the ability to @-mention a team or projects within a team?

If so, only folks that have access to a team or project will be able to @-mention it, and also to be able to see it. If someone doesn’t have access to the project, they would see a “Private Link” indicator instead (screenshot below).
16%20AM
Is that helpful, or are you referring to another type of mentions?

Hi Kaitie, thank you for the quick answer.

I meant when I open a task from a specific project and try to assign/mention someone to the task, the suggestion list has everyone within the organization and not just the people I set for the project. The problem for my particular case is:

• My organization has couple thousand people which are set with @mycompany[dot]com
  • I set a project within the org “mycompany[dot]com” which is dedicated to managing a product between “mycompany.com” and “othercompany[dot]com”.
  • I created a team (lets call it “product-with-other-company-team”) which contains a small subset of “mycompany.com” and subset of “othercompany[dot]com” users
  • I don’t want “othercompany[dot]com” to see anyone outside of the set of users in “product-with-other-company-team” when list of suggested users are presented since this may represent a security, privacy breach.

Hope this clarifies the use case. More than happy to jump into a call if that would help.

Henrique

3 Likes

Hi, I need help with this. Is there any number I can all to brainstorm on this issue?

1 Like

Bom dia Henrique,
estamos com o mesmo problema em que todas os usuários conseguem atribuir seguidores, de outras equipes e mencioná-los (adicionando aos seguidores). Se a sua questão já foi resolvida e puder me enviar o feedback da solução que foi adotada lhe agradeço!
Abraço!

Top question !

Has there been any information on how to do this?
The reason I’m interested in this is because we’re finding that it is too easy to accidentally share confidential information with someone outside the team by accidentally @mentioning the wrong person.

2 Likes

Also would love to see this. As an agency we want to scope each client to a particular team so we never have to worry about accidentally mentioning the wrong user.

We have multiple projects running with different external members and we don’t want to accidentally @ someone who is not related to that project. Might be me just being very new to Asana but any suggestions are welcome!

1 Like

Top question that nobody seems to get right - I think I have the same issue though:
Old members (and outdated accounts) can still be mentioned, even though they are not part of the team, causing some mixups lately…

…maybe this helps:
it may all be about being/not being member of an organisation

see these threads:
this one on “accounts vs. organizational accounts”
or this one, on “guests” leaving organisations

…or any way: it solved my problem.
logging in with my old eMail-adress I found that I was not in the team, but still part of the organisation (I didn’t find a way to see all members of the organisation when logged in as a team member).
I could not leave this organisation (whyyyy!?) but completely deactivating the old account at least disables its mentioning (by others who actually want to mention the new account under the same name)

Hi @Kaitie! Is there any update on this?

If I want to assign a task using @function, it suggests several people, event guests, that are not members of the certain project I want to assign a task in. Any tipps or solutions to this?

Hello @Kathrin_Hanke,

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Kathrin_Hanke :wave:
Have a look at this feedback request thread.