Show task collaborators and board members first when mentioning or assigning

I just accidentally assigned a task to a person who was not part of the task collaborators or the project members, the person was not supposed to be able to access that task and board. But was automatically added as a collaborator to the task when I picked the person as assignee.
Fortunately the task did not contain any sensitive information.

To make it easier to avoid that, please group the people “dropdown” by “already has access to the task” and “people who do not have access to the task”.

Maybe even also add a confirmation pop up, stating that the person chosen would be granted access to a task, that he/she did not have.

Hi @Rune_Philosof, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

While this feature isn’t available at this time, I’ll keep you updated if this is something our Product team implements in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have some large/existing projects.
Each board have a lot of asana tickets.
Each project have dedicated users.

Now lets open a project and create an asana task.
Now enter @ in description or in comment section.
In our project we see ALL users from ALL project.
Why? We wanna see and tag users only from the current/working project.

How to limit the @ to current project users only?

BR
Tommy

Hi Thomas,
You can’t for the @ function I am afraid- it is to enable cross team collaboration.

2 Likes

Okay.
How i can tag a person in my comments from the current project only?
I dont wanna see persons from other projects.

For example you have a big team in each project.
Now you open a asana task and enter @ or try to name and link a person in your text…
If you do that, you will see ALL persons from ALL projects. This is very messy and will make a lot of trouble if you tag the wrong person.
Asana cant handle that so fine?

Hi @Thomas_83

I can understand why this would cause a bit of inconvenience in certain scenarios.
But limiting what appears to you when you start typing the ‘@’ to only those in a particular project defeats the purpose of collaboration in asana. Exactly what @Danielle-GenD explained.

If there is a specific user case you want to ensure you have a workaround it, please do share it and perhaps we can assist.

1 Like

Its normal in a daily business that sometimes we make a mistake.
For example you create a asana task and select a person from another project for this task.
Or you write a comment and wanna name a person: “Hello @tommy and @sabrina. Thank you for that update. I will check your feedback tomorrow…”

But the mistake is: you select the wrong sabrina. If you have two sabrina in projects, you need to be very carefully… or you wanna tag Tommy but select in a mistake a wrong person from another project…

In monday we have a much better flow to keep mistakes and questions away:
You can select in project settings: This project have a specific team. If you open a monday task from this project, you are not able to tag or name persons from another projects. So you are fine and clean and no mistakes happen…

The other big point is:
If you have 10, 30 oder 50 projects and each project have 10 persons… you will have 50 x 10 persons: 500 persons. As more users you have, it will be more harder to not make a mistake if you select a person. Sure, we can search by entering a name… but sometimes you click fast and select not the correct person. This will make a lot of frustrating persons and questions in project management.

“But limiting what appears to you when you start typing the ‘@’ to only those in a particular project defeats the purpose of collaboration”

Why asana cant do both? Limit and not limit @?
A good project management tool give project manager the power to configure the software to his needs. So in monday you can do this: Project → Project Team Settings: Show team members only in this project… So from now you are not able to select the persons in this project in other projects.

And this basics of project management are still not working in asana? :frowning:
@Rashad_Issa @Danielle-GenD

I understand the frustration with this but it is sadly a limitation at this point.

All i can do is offer some work arounds. Depending on what you are trying to do you and if there are patterns could use rules to auto comment to certain people. But if Tommy and Sabrina for instance are already a collaborator and you add a comment - depending on their notifications- you may not need to @ them at all.

WOW!!!

• For example you have 50 projects. Now you open one of them you can tag persons from another project? Maybe this is a good idea if persons work together in many projects.
    But not all projects working like this.
    Asana is still sleeping and have no option to disable cross-tagging to have restricted teams/projects?

• Why monday is able to share this fine tuning options and asana still stuck in basics like this please? Now i know why monday cost a little bit more… :wink:

We migrate with 50 baords to asana and now we see how less custom options we have in details.
Its strange in year 2023 a software is not able to be customized for custom needs like this in project manager basics.

Hi Thomas,

I am not directly from Asana so cannot answer as to why it hasn’t been developed to switch the function on or off. It is something you can add to ‘Product Feedback’ section of the forum and people can vote on this feature- which does feedback to the engineer team. :slight_smile:

ok, its better to keep a monday and cancle asana. asana is nice and simple, but it have not the same detailed options for project manager we see. For us we cant understand why this is still not possible and we cant add feature requests for basics and wait to be done after so long product history of asana. its frustrating to work with products like this if you need an absolute detailed custom option…

@Thomas_83,

I’ve merged this thread with an existing one so that you can vote for this feature by clicking the title or scrolling to the top and using the purple vote button.

Larry

thank you.
You can belive me, its so much frustrating to ask for project management basics in a software for project management. Its okay if user have the option to select persons from another project. But what if you dont wanna have this? Asana still have no option in 2023 to stop this effect if your projects are dedicated and so cross-tagigng is not good for you?
Its nice i can vote now for this basics, but it show me how less deep details settings asana have right now. :frowning: Its not the first time we stuck in basics in asana. On the other hand with monday we can grow fast without any question about new functions we need…

How did you solve it?
Do you find a workflow or something like that?
Not every project is open so not every project need cross-tagging and they will do a lot of trouble…
Do you find a workflow to have dedicated projects without the option about cross-tagging?

BR
Tommy