Available Assignee's and Collaborators

Do I have it correct that when assigning a task or adding a collaborator, everyone in the organization is available. I have had some push back on this as this is what we developed in Sendana and I am under the belief this is the same in Asana. Larger organizations sometimes do not like this albeit both have autocomplete. @Marie or @Michael_A could you confirm this and @Jeff_Schneider maybe you could weigh in if this is true and if there is a way to limit in the use of the API to only Team members or Projects that a user is a guest or member.
Thanks

Hey @James_Carl, I believe this is true. If you wanted to limit assignees/collaborators to just team members in your app, you could do some client side filtering.

For example, get the user’s team list and only offer those users as options for assignees and collaborators.

2 Likes

@Jeff_Schneider Can you explain how to do this filtering? I’m an end user, and I only want our Team members to be possible assignees to our tasks. Currently, everyone in the organization is showing up in the dropdown assignee list, and I’m worried we’ll accidentally select one and risk confidentiality. Thanks.

@Sara_Lujan, @Jeff_Schneider is a better resource but unless things have changed I am pretty sure that all organization members will show up.

1 Like

This is a huge issue for us as a professional services agency. We work with many clients and have dedicated client projects for each of them, along with internal projects running in parallel.

Every new guest we add automatically shows up in the assignee/collaborator dropdown for every single task, regardless of the project/task’s permissions. The more guests we add, the higher the risk (and probability) will be of someone accidentally adding the wrong person to the wrong task.

It’s a pretty big confidentiality issue and will only get worse over time, so any tips would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile: