Forms that create Projects

Hi!
I am loving the new form feature and using it wherever possible. One of the drawbacks of the forms feature for our use is that we use the info collected to create a project. This results in a lot of copy/paste and potential for mismatched information. A feature we would benefit greatly from would be a form that creates a project with tasks, task descriptions, and other elements fed through the form fields. Maybe even allow the form to assign the project to specific users based on one of the fields (crazy thought, even individual tasks as well)ā€¦
Now, before you tell me that the easiest solution it to convert the generated task into a project, I tried that but didnā€™t work. We use a project template with very specific details and trying to properly implement this setup during a task-to-project conversion would be worse for our workflow.
Hope this is a helpful feature request.

Hi @Scott_Goldstein and welcome to the Forum!

I was indeed going to suggest you to use the convert a task into a project feature, but as you said, if youā€™re following a specific template for these projects, it might not be the best idea.

I donā€™t believe anyone has submitted this feedback yet in the Forum, but this is something we could do in the future. Iā€™ll make sure to keep you posted once i have more info on this request.

Have a great Monday!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your quick response. Looking forward to how this develops.

1 Like

This is something our teams could really use. Currently we use a seperate project in-take tool as it allows us to connect to Asana through the API and customize the tasks, assignees and anything else we need when we send it to Asana to create a new project. It would interesting to see the form function allow to be converted to a project (with templated tasks & assignees) and not just a single task. We handle over 200 projects a month so there is no way we can manually convert each project.

FYI something like this can be done using a Flowsana If-Then rule of ā€œIf a new task is added to project X, create a new project called Y from the project template Zā€.

2 Likes

The ability to create a Project from a Form, rather than just a Task would be game changing for our business. Please advise if this is something that is in the works. As mentioned by previous comments, when the quantity of form requests is high, and when trying to ensure processes are repeatable/turnkey, it is not scalable to manually convert each one, or use an integration such as Flowsana. This is a major flaw for the tool, and hopefully something that can be addressed.

1 Like

Ideally, a team member would fill out the fields, new project name (ā€œexample project 1ā€), assignee (ā€œbobā€), additional instructions, and upload necessary files. After COMPLETING the form, a new project called ā€œexample project 1ā€ would be created for Bob and have the relevant files on it.

1 Like

Hi @Ryan_Works, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Great question! This feature is not currently available with forms but we do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category! Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with this thread to consolidate feedback :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll loop back in with you if I have any updates on Forms! :slight_smile:

Hi @Ryan_Works,

FYI note my response above about Flowsana being able to create a project from a form submission: Forms that create Projects - #5 by Phil_Seeman

However, that capability has been further refined since I wrote that post; there is now a Flowsana rule condition for ā€œNew form submission receivedā€ so you can distinguish new forms vs. other new tasks are are added to a project that donā€™t come from a form.

Hi everyone,
Iā€™m new to the community and was wondering if this feature is available in Asana by now?
We are trying to stick to one system and not have Flowsana as well.

HI All, It is now February 2024 and our team also would like to use a form for intake requests of new projects and not tasks. Has there been any added features to asana since this post was originally written in August 2019? we do know about the convert to project tool but we are running into issues between assignee and collaborators only being for tasks and owners being for projects when we convert.

1 Like

We are also wondering if this functionality exists yet as our team is in the same position of needing our forms to create products not tasks.

Hi @Kristine_Stigas and @Nicole_Tiberi , welcome to the forum :wave:

Iā€™m a volunteer forum leader and an Asana expert, Solutions Partner, consultant and trainer that helps teams make the most out of Asana.

I can confirm that, for a while now, it is possible to create a custom rule in Asana that can convert a form submission instantly into a project, as per the screenshot below:

This rule action allows you to instantly convert the task from the form into a project and do that either as a blank project or based on a project template. While it does that it can also add the project to any portfolio(s) and also add the task collaborators as project members.

You can read more about what happens to a task when it gets converted to a project here, but essentially it does this:

Original field: ā†’ New field:
Task name ā†’ Project name
Task assignee ā†’ Project owner
Task collaborators ā†’ Project members
Subtasks ā†’ Parent tasks
Subsections ā†’ Sections

ā€¦and any custom fields in the project (where your form submissions land) will get remapped to custom fields in the portfolio (which the newly created projects are added it).

There are however some limitations to this rule action, especially regarding project templates that use dynamic project roles, such as this much-wanted feature that you can also vote on :wink:

1 Like

THANK YOU, this is really helpful!

One issue I am having is when I set up the rule to convert the task to a project - I have to go in manually and make myself an admin on the project. I am the owner of the portfolio so I was hoping there is a way to be an admin on any project added without having to manually add that.

Glad you found it useful, @Nicole_Tiberi .

By default, the project admin is the project owner.

Is your rule converting the task to a blank project or a project based on a project template? If the latter, check the templateā€™s members in step 1 (Project content) in the template editor (upper right corner). You can add yourself to always be the Project Admin, for example, for each project that is created from this template.

If your rule is converting the task to a blank project, you may want to check if you are the taskā€™s assignee before it is converted to a project. If not, you could add that as an extra rule action before the ā€˜convert to projectā€™ action.

Or better yet, add a different trigger to convert the task to a project, instead of instantly being created from a form submission. This could be a drop down field so that once the form is submitted, the task gets reviewed first (by a human, to make sure all fields are correct, etc) and then use an option of the dropdown field like ā€˜Crrate projectā€™ to trigger the sequence of converting the task to a project. A simpler trigger could be ā€˜when task is completeā€™.