Ability to assign Project Roles when converting a task to a project using a template

Variables in templates for Project roles is a great feature when using a template to (manually) create a project, where we get this handy page during the project creation steps:

I am hoping this project roles selection popup will get built into other surfaces such as when converting a task into a project, either by:

1. Convert to > Project action from the task details overflow ...
    Selecting Project Roles would be great to be included within this dialogue box which acts as a mini-project-creation process:

(Being able to add project to a Portfolio would also be useful in this dialogue box, similar to the relative rule action dialogue box below)

2. Rule using the ‘Create new > Project from task’ action (example below)
    It would be great if the assign project roles page that we see during the project creation stage (first screenshot above) would appear as a popup once such a rule is triggered:

The alternative solution to both the above would be to simply be able to Fill project roles after project creation perhaps from the Overview tab, as @paulminors has suggested :clap:
However, I think having the option to fill out project roles during the task-to-project conversion stage would make sure the project gets setup immediately as intended, without blank assignees.

References: :peach: B2.5 A template allows for variable assignees BUT if a task is turned into a project using a template in rules, you don’t have the opportunity to choose the roles. in Asana, show me your BUTs 🍑

10 Likes

cc @Arthur_BEGOU we talked about it as well :slight_smile:

Thanks Richard for pointing that out. :+1:
Yes, we identified the same pain recently.
Really a shame that the automation is downgrading that (great) feature.

2 Likes

Yeah… we had been trying to use a project realized we needed to break out 50 child tasks into new projects in a portfolio and were shocked to find we couldnt pick roles, or set roles after dev sooo painful

2 Likes

+1 (+1000 if I could!)
We have built a fairly standardized workflow for most LOB (line of business) customer projects, so we have a manageable # of templates with a “Roles” global CF for this exact same purpose, and was very disappointed when I reviewed the “Project Roles” feature, that there’s no way to actually utilize that to automatically assign/map to tasks (each with an assigned “role” per the Global CF) either at project creation from template or even post creation…

For example, we have an “incoming projects” intake form and project for a pipeline lookahead and to start proactively assigning resources.
We then would love to let a rule, as @Richard_Sather suggested, Create new > Project from task, and utilize these assignments in the project CF’s to be mapped to the “Template Project Roles” which, in turn would auto-assign the tasks to the appropriate tasks, as configured:

This would reduce an incredible amount of time and automate our resourcing assignments.

I do love and continue to leverage & promote Asana as much as I can across the organization, however IMHO this is definitely one of the few “gaps” in Asana’s overall end-to-end workflow cycle features.

2 Likes

We are trying to build a sales pipeline, with sales leads being tracked by individual tasks. When leads are closed, they result in project creation off of a template. The lack of an ability to specify project roles during this process really really hurts.

Would love to see this implemented

3 Likes

How often do you close leads?

Due to our team size this happens on a weekly basis.

We also sign a new client each week, and decided to still manually create the project. My point is that you probably lose by automating without roles, than doing manually with roles :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m picking up this thread to see if where this feature is at? Our team would very much benefit from allowing to convert tasks using templates but then also being able to assign the roles in the template.

1 Like

This is still not possible, we haven’t heard of anything on the roadmap.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

My org has a process where marketing requests come in via a webform, the project request is automatically assigned to a project manager via workflow, then the project manager converts the task to a project (task details>…>convert to>project). On the resulting screen they select a template we’ve designed that reflects the project type. They have the ability to automatically set the dates here, but they can’t assign the project roles (that are defined in the template).

However, creating the project from “scratch” using a template does allow for the date & project roles to be defined.

Is all of this expected? I really want to convert the workflow task to the project itself so the form intake questions are captured in the final project itself.

Hi @b_free Thanks for Posting.

This is expected behaviour sadly at the moment project roles can only be used when bringing in the project manually because it has to ask the question of who is taking these project roles.

1 Like

@b_free,

As @Danielle-GenD indicated…and also…

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

I came here to create this topic, and found @Richard_Sather beat me to it.

Reason I became extra interested in this is that another piece of our puzzle towards automating the use proper project naming conventions has just fallen into place, namely: Set task title and description can now be done with rules.

This means that theoretically we could set up a pipeline like so:

• Form for creating new marketing campaign
  • Task gets made from form
  • Set task title and description based on the custom fields of the task, which are set by the form
  • Convert task into project and has the correct name

Were it not for the fact that assigning project roles (and date[s], not sure if that should be a separate topic…) cannot be set using this process.

I would be thrilled if it would be an option when converting this task into a project, even if it only works when doing this manually.