Don't truncate CSV project exports

They do not want to run away easily :slight_smile: A work around will be greatly appreciated if anyone has an easy fix.

I could build a tool that would allow to export beyond the limit, would you be interested?

Here is a new problem with the workaround for CSV projects: If, when you divide your search, you happen to have projects that do not all have identical fields, you can end up with different columns in your resulting CSVs. Then it might theoretically take you some time to discover the error when you try to combine the separate CSVs into a single file.
If Asana did not truncate, this would not happen – the single CSV dump would include every field in all the projects.

1 Like

This is something that I like many people had to find out the hard way with data suddently missing. There is no notification on when a search may pull more then 2000 lines whic means it can be sometimes a trial and error and time consuming to make sure you dont lose your data. Right now we use CSV exports to do our reporting on hours and tasks for individuals and for each project. I pull these numbers sometimes weekly because if we were to leave it to a month or longer I could end up having to do multiple exports with different dates to make sure no information was lost. It also means whenever I need to look for something over the past few months I have to make multiple exports and group them together in another file.

1 Like

would love a script if you made one

@Jeff_McNeal I did not build it, reach out to me privately if you want to discuss dertails.

I’m finding this extremely frustrating as I have a lot of data in Asana that I can’t cleanly export. To help with truncating at 2000 lines, it would be good to have an option when choosing to export to CSV to remove subtasks from that export. Then I can cleanly export my main tasks within the project.

I have tried to auto-export where I’m syncing to Sheets, however this truncates at 250 rows. That is hardly any data, when considering thousands of rows. Sheets has a 5MM cell limit so I know its not on that end.

3 Likes

Thank you! This is such a massive pain, and a huge issue with the “workaround” of manually dividing your search.

I am interesting in utilizing the API as well so that my CSV reports aren’t truncated at 2000 rows.

Do you want to do it yourself or would you want me to help?

Thanks, Bastien. If it’s fairly straightforward, I can do it myself. Please provide instructions. :blush:

-Dustin

Sorry for the miunderstanding. I won’t share instructions for free just like that :sweat_smile: either you know your way around and need a little help or you hire someone to do it :grinning:

Completely agree! We have a lot of very large projects that we use for continuous reporting and project management that only continue to grow. Not being able to export the entire project means we can’t adequately report on these projects. Splitting them into different projects really puts our current process into an upheaval. Would be great if Asana can work on a fix for this. Seems like it’s an issue for many.

3 Likes

Would you be so kind to share the instructions? Thanks!

Would you be so kind to share the API so we can export everything instead of splitting the project? Thanks in advance!

No sorry because I did not write it yet, and won’t write it to give it away as it represents a bit of time (probably an hour of work or so).

1 Like

Hey @Bastien_Siebman it there a solution for this Truncating problem that you kindly share with me now?

Hi @anon39763031 see my answer above :slight_smile:

I went to export a report, and was shocked to see it was “truncated at 2,000 rows”. 2,000 rows is not at all realistic for the number of tasks we process. Is there a way around this?

Hey @Liz_Ziser,

Asana2Go also offers reporting features: Asana2Go: Copy, export, and print from Asana flexibly (Free for most users/companies)

Bridge24 offers reporting and export functionality too: Bridge24 + Asana • Asana

Or maybe this helps: Export All Data from Asana - #9 by Pawel_Swiderski

You might be able to achieve such big export with one of these programs.

4 Likes