Comprehensive list of technical limitations added to Asana Guide

Creating a separate topic, similar in nature to the limitations listed in the below topic, but instead of data entry limitations, this topic is for technical limitations (which could change over time). If forum leaders feel these two topics should be merged, then please do so

Add a comprehensive list of data limits to the Asana Guide

Don’t get me wrong, I :heart: Asana but like everything, it has its limits, which is sometimes perfectly fine, especially if you know what/where those limits are :smiley:

Most of the below limitations are extreme use cases required to handle large amounts of data, so likely these won’t be an issue to the majority of users.

:exclamation:limitations marked with an exclamation, I could not find mention of in the guide, but mentioned in the forum.
:white_check_mark: limitations marked with a tick are noted in the Asana Guide but can be easily missed so let’s vote to get a comprehensive list added to the Asana guide which would be beneficial to have them more accessible/public since they might be deciding factors on HOW (not IF) one may go about setting up large organizations before running into performance & usage issues :wink:

:exclamation:1. Reordering options within a Single-Select or Multi-select custom field

This field is used in too many tasks; reordering options is disabled.

@Forum-team , not sure if the 25k task limit is precise - it may have to do with more parameters than just task count. I met this limitation closer to reaching only 5k tasks but with tens of projects using the same single-select field which had over 50 options. Whatever the limit, it would also be nice to know if the same applies to multi-select fields.
:bulb:when adding a new option to such a custom field, instead of using the ‘+ Add an option’ button at the bottom of the options list, you can ‘insert’ a new option in-between existing options by selecting the option directly above and hitting ‘enter’. But you still cannot sort existing options… :confused:

:white_check_mark: 2. Limit of options within a Single-select or Multi-select custom field - Asana Guide link

We're increasing custom fields limits 🎉

This number has been vastly increased over the past year, currently set to 500 (!!) for single-select options and multi-select options. Asana can put this one to bed for the time being!

:white_check_mark: 3. Limit of the amount of custom fields within a single project - Asana Guide link

Custom Field Limitation

This limit is currently set to 30 custom fields (plus the 9 default/metadata fields, eg. assignee, due date, created by etc.) This could perhaps do with a bit of an increase for large forms or unique use cases.

:white_check_mark: 4. Limit of the amount of custom fields within a single portfolio - Asana Guide link
As per no.3, this limit is currently also set to 30 custom fields

:white_check_mark: 5. Limit of custom fields within a single task - Asana Guide link
You can have up to 60 fields per task (this can be achieved by multi-homing a single task to multiple projects).

:white_check_mark: 6. Limit of Rules that can be setup within a single project - Asana Guide link

PLEASE Increase rule limit on rule based workflow

Rules are currently at a max of 50 per project but there are workarounds using multi-homing

:exclamation:7. Limit of questions within a single form

Increase Rules/Form Questions limit

I ran a quick test (rapidly clicking on the add ‘Single line text’ question button) and it seems it is close to 150 questions per form. Not sure why anyone would need more!

:white_check_mark: 8. Limit of forms within a single project - Asana Guide link
This has been recently bumped up to 5 which is great for multilingual forms :wink:

:exclamation:9. Unable to sort tasks by assignee if over 1k tasks

this project has too many tasks to be sorted by assignee

Not sure this one still applies? We have a project with over 5k tasks and can sort by assignee perfectly fine (sure the scrolling is a bit slow but this project acts as a ‘master’ task list that collects tasks from hundreds of other projects so it can apply the same set of ‘master’ rules to all of them)

:white_check_mark: 10. Limit of Projects added to a single Portfolio Asana Guide link
As per release notes of Aug 2022, this was increased to 500 projects (!)

:white_check_mark: 11. Limit of items in a Dashboard in a Project Asana Guide link
The limit is currently 15 items per Dashboard.
However, by duplicating items, it seems you can add more…!?

:exclamation: 12. Limit of items in a Dashboard in (Universal) Reporting
This appears to be limited to 20 items, although there is no reference in the guide.
As per 11, by duplicating items, it seems you can add more…!?

I’m sure there’s more to add so please let me know and help keep this topic updated :wink:
@Bastien_Siebman @lpb @Phil_Seeman

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Comprehensive list of data limits