[Boards] Make Subtasks become Tasks in board view

I notice in list view project, I am able to drag & move subtasks out of a specific task. Usually I’m adding it to another task within that same project (re-parenting). This has been very useful when I consolidate and group my project tasks after collection.

Recently, we started using the board view and this no longer seems to be possible (although there is a workaround, it’s rather clunky): Removing Subtasks from Parent Tasks - #5 by Gunes333

I’d like an easier way to perform this function. Doesn’t really need to be a native function, maybe just a quicker workaround.

I’m also interested in this improvement. It would be nice to drag and drop subtasks and convert them to standard tasks in the same way that you can on lists. Currently I try to avoid using subtasks on boards because of this.

2 Likes

Is it possible to move a task to a subtask of a different task in board view?
I can add the subtask to another project column, and have the task duplicated, but I can not take it out of the task.
This issue is very annoying, specially when you are only interested in BOARD VIEW for KanBan.

Agree. Hard. Has this feature been introduced in the two years since this ask?

Gang. I saw a multi-year thread asking for this feature, and it was closed out when subtasks were made viewable on Board view.

However the ask (from multiple folks, and now from myself) was not simply to view subtasks in the Board, but specifically for the ability to move subtasks across board columns independently from their parent tasks.

Is this a feature that’s available? If not, it really needs to be. Without it, any task that has subtasks is useless to facilitate easy progress while a larger task is being worked on in parts.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @anon11068467, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

We already have a thread related to this topic. I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with [Boards] Make Subtasks become Tasks in board view to consolidate feedback.

We recently launched Subtasks in Board View and I think this would be a great addition to this new feature. I also sent this request to our product team so it can be consider in future updates. Thanks again for sharing!

Often I am in a Board view of my tasks and have a task open that has multiple subtasks. I would like to be able to stay in this view and drag a subtask to one of the Board columns. This would reduce my four steps to one (move subtask to board column). Currently I am unable to move the subtask within the Board view. Currently I have to:

• Switch to List view
  • Find task in list again
  • Go to detail panel of the task
  • Move subtask of interest into main task List

If you’re worried about making it too easy for someone to accidentally move the subtask out to the task level - make it so users have to use a shortcut key with dragging of the subtask to place it into a board column.

I hope this can be added to make the app even better.

(related to previous post → convert subtasks to tasks)

2 Likes

Hi @Scott_Hofmann :wave:t2:

It is currently possible to convert Board tasks into subtasks via the action menu seen in the screenshot below:

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Actually that is the opposite of what I’m looking for. I’d like to see a menu item that states “convert subtask to task” or a way to drag a subtask to the task level on a board view. Is there something I missed to do that?

My mistake, @Scott_Hofmann! :slight_smile: It is currently not possible to drag subtasks to convert them to tasks via the Board view as can be done via the List view.

This is a popular request in the Forum and we do have an existing thread in the #productfeedback category for this feature request :). I’ve gone ahead and merge your post with this one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll let you know if we have any updates by posting them on the thread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for adding my notes to the current thread on the topic. I would love to see that feature.

2 Likes

hi @Rebecca_McGrath Is there any function changes? Today I’m try to drag a subtask to a task, there’s no the option of “convert to a project”, neither I can drag it out to a task level. Can you please take a look and help me on this?
Thank you in advance.

Welcome, @Rae6,

Oddly, your task titled “Jan 22, 2024” that appears in the task detail pane does not appear in left-side main pane. Maybe try clicking one of the Add task… links there, create “Task 1” and then retry?

There’s one highlighted in your screenshot! If you just go ahead and choose the menu item Convert to > Project (for this new Task 1) then you’ll see this next to complete the action:

Again, click Add task… and this time create Task 2. Then scroll down on the right side and click Add subtask. Hover the newly created subtask on the right side to see the drag handle grid icon appear; grab it and drag to the main (left-side) task list.

Thanks,

Larry

I might be misinterpreting here but when s/he says ‘I can’t drag a subtask to a task’ I don’t think s/he means ‘I can’t drag a subtask into another existing task’ but ‘I can’t drag a subtask to be the level of a main task’. I could be wrong. That’s what I’m trying to do, and can’t. (3 years later). It’s interesting (/weird) that you can change a subtask into a full project but not just into a task in the current project…?

I’m not sure why it’s not possible to grab a subtask and convert it straight to a task, I can do this in Trello (checklist item to card), TeamGantt (outdent) - granted, these items aren’t as tightly bound to their parent items, but I would have hoped that after a few years of asking, this would become fairly standard. A subtask is really a fully functional task that has a parent task.

It should be possible to automate the process of creating a brand new task and populating it with the contents of the subtask? I don’t know. I just think it needs to be understood that quite often, you create a task with a bunch of subtasks, then realise that one of them really needs to be its own task somewhere else, but you really don’t want to have to recreate it manually with all the comments, links, dependencies, statuses… so it stays in the wrong place instead.

For example, I’ve created a project with a few sections, one of which calls for me to create a form, draft it, flesh it out, then finalise it at some point. I realised after starting all this work that I really want a separate section where we polish off the final details for all the project elements, and so I wanted to move some of the form subtasks out to this new section. As it is, I can create a new ‘finalise form’ task and then bring in the subtasks, but there are only 2, so it seems silly. For now, that’s what I’ll do. It’s not the greatest example, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to have a subtask that you want to promote.

Sorry, that reply got away from me somewhere :slight_smile:

Welcome, @Dev_Lunsford1,

I’m not sure I followed all of that, but I’ll follow up on a portion, at least.

In List view, it’s easily possible by dragging a subtask from the right task detail pane into the main Tasks list pane to promote a subtask to a top-level task, removing the parent from the former subtask.

The same is not currently possible in Board view; vote at the top of that thread to express your interest in that.

Thanks,

Larry

:smile: I talked myself in circles, I think.

…Dragging from the detail pane… oh, you can? Interesting. Yes, that does work, thanks

Strange not to have it included as one of the options in the subtask/‘convert to’ menu, and I’d not found that in any of the documentation (which is how I ended up in the forum). Thanks for pointing that out :slightly_smiling_face:. It’s not totally discoverable - especially as you can’t drag the subtask from the left pane of the list view. But at least there’s a way.

Dev

1 Like