Automatically add projects to Portfolios from project template

We organize our projects by portfolios. It would be helpful to be able to have project templates automatically added to portfolios based on specific criteria (company name, department, etc.)

11 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @Sara_Skowronski! This would be very helpful! Iā€™ll let you know if I have any news about this feature in the future.

8 Likes

I am building a new template for my publishing team for creating reports. The template has quite a few tasks, 25 - 30. Weā€™re creating probably ~60 projects per quarter.

Resourcing via calendar has gotten painful and I really want to start using workload. However, I am SHOOK that there seems to be no way to get a project created from a template automatically into a portfolio so we can use workload without projects being missed due to human error.

To clearly state my question: How can I have a project created from a template automatically added to a portfolio for use in workload?

I know I can auto add newly created tasks to another project automatically which could already exist in the portfolio, but I canā€™t build that into a template. I can also add all tasks from existing projects into a second larger project that is already in there, but still its manual and doesnā€™t address newly created projects.

Finally, at the scale weā€™re at, not being able to add projects to a template in any way other than one by one manually is frustrating.

If there are any workarounds Iā€™m missing, Iā€™d love to hear them, otherwise PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the option for teamwide automation or team workloads or template automation or any improvement here.

Thanks!

7 Likes

We have been asking about this since they removed it a few years ago!

5 Likes

This would be so helpful! A lot of my team members forget to add projects to Portfolios once creating them.

5 Likes

How do we get it into development?

3 Likes

Ok after poking around a bit, I found what I was looking for! Not sure if this is helpful for you Sandy, but if you click the carrot next to the project name, you can add to Portfolio from there! It will also show what other Portfolios the project is in.

Screenshot below!

2 Likes

Curious ā€“ how long has that been available?

I am not sure! @Emily_Roman - do you have any idea here? It is super helpful and I had no idea it existed!

When a project template is added to a portfolio:

1. As a template item, it should not appear in the portfolio
  2. I want this action to carry over when a project is created from this template.

That is, for each project from template, also add those projects to the portfolios indicated in the template.

To further remove the work about work, when I use the SEO template, I want that project to also be added to the SEO Portfolio. Only makes sense.

1 Like

Hi @Getz_Pro, thanks for providing this feedback!

We do have an existing thread for this request in the #productfeedback category so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

Hopefully this is something we can implement in the future :slight_smile: Iā€™ll keep you posted in the main thread.

2 Likes

Great point and I starting to see the urgent need to have this implemented.

The more we move with templates and automatations, the more we need these simple features to enhance efficinecies. Upvoted!

1 Like

I honestly canā€™t figure out why I can save a project template to a portfolio, when I create projects from that template, it wouldnā€™t automatically add them to the portfolio ā€“ because itā€™s saved in the template. Why is it ignoring that setting of the template?

2 Likes

We use templates a lot for our projects. It would be awesome to be able to create a rule to add a project into a portfolio automatically.

If this is already a feature please let me know!

2 Likes

Hi @Jake_Ritter

Welcome to the forum. This is a fantastic rule and we are asking for it.
There is an already open product feedback tab asking for this. Here is the link: Automatically add projects to Portfolios from project template

If you add your vote to the existing post, that would be wonderful.

Rashad

2 Likes

@Rebecca_McGrath @Emily_Roman could you please help me merge these 2 topics to keep tally of a single voting page :slight_smile:

Thank you!!

2 Likes

This would be incredibly useful for us too! We need the ability to assign a project to a portfolio upon creation of that project using a template. So, the following two functions are greatly needed:

1. Portfolio selection function when creating new project - When creating a new project (from a template or blank) use ā€œAdd to portfolio/sā€ function when setting the metadata for that project, so placement occurs at the creation stage rather than the two step process of allocating it to a portfolio/s after creation.
  2. Automation function for templates - so that for example all ā€˜Comms Planā€™ template projects are automatically added to the ā€˜Comms Planā€™ portfolio.

Hopefully this happens very soon as it would significantly enhance our capacity (as weā€™re creating 60-90+ of these types of projects monthly-quarterly atm).

1 Like

I am struggling to find efficiencies with the Portfolio section. I thought I had found a solution in the ā€œcreate new projectā€ option in the ā€œAdd Projectā€ drop down on the Portfolio level, however, when you go this route thereā€™s no option to apply a template to the new project being created. I donā€™t really want to trade off manually adding each project to a portfolio with manually rebuilding all my custom fields, all my rules, and all my default tasks each time, either.

Can we add this to the ā€œCreate Projectā€ screen of the Portfolio? If weā€™re not allowing projects to be assigned to a Portfolio on the project level then this seems an easy alternative.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @Leslie_Irvine1! This is a great idea! We also have this request: Add a project to a portfolio, while Iā€™m in the project itself in case you are interested to upvote! Iā€™ll make sure to update this thread if I have news about this feature.

Yep, I had previously upvoted that feature as well.

1 Like