Visualise progress of subtasks at a glance

My team is using Asana to organise our projects in two main ways:
Large, one-off jobs for which we create a new project for with its various subtasks;
and smaller jobs using a recurring template.

These smaller jobs are frequent and short duration, so creating a whole new project is not convenient, so we have created one project for this type of job, with a task for each client. Each task has subtasks for the individual steps of the job, and the client’s task bubble moves through the various stages of the job towards completion.
This creates tasks with subtasks, and subtasks within subtasks, so a lot of clicks are required to see how the job is progressing overall.

The easier it is to track each job’s progress, the better we can prioritise jobs and the easier it is for team members to see which tasks they should pick up.

As it stands, it is hard to tell at a glance on the project board view, or even in the task’s information window, if the task has even been started or what subtask needs to be completed next, as each subtask will not be ticked ‘done’ until all of the subtasks within it are completed. Although we can see that there are multiple subtasks, we can’t see how many of them are done. There is a lot of back and forth clicking in and out of tasks and subtasks before a list with any completion ticks is visible.

This is making it harder for the team leader to quickly monitor progress, as they have to manually enter every subtask of each job to see where the team is up to, and it is more convenient to do this monitoring outside of Asana, verbally or by email, which is not ideal.

It would be very useful to have a sort of “progress display” of some sort which showed the proportion of subtasks within a task that are completed, and if you click on a subtask which has more subtasks of its own, another display showing progress on the subtasks might be visible, perhaps in a ratio format such as “4/6” indicating that of the 6 subtasks, 4 are ticked completed. A more “pretty” solution would be more of a “progress bar” which grew closer to full, the more subtasks were finished.

If anyone has a smoother way of using the program which achieves this outcome or suggestions they would be appreciated!

1 Like

As an extra note to my post, this issue applies in the dashboard tab of a project, so although the project has dozens of subtasks, I can only see the completion status of tasks. So essentially I can see if a job is done, but can get no detail on how close it is to completion unless I go right into each individual job.

Hi @Samuel_Ewart

This is a great feedback. That visibility from a high level will be very helpful, especially if it is built within the platform directly
It can appear as a simple progress bar on the far end of the task name:
So if a task has 4 subtasks built within it, and one of them is complete, the bar will progress 25%

I have upvoted for this feedback.

4 Likes

As for the dashboard comment of including subtasks, I suggest you add your vote this thread Including Subtasks in Dashboards - #26 by Sv_Erick

this is something everyone is asking asana to do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have exactly this same question / issue. Has a solution been found or created yet?

Thanks!

Not yet, there still isnt a way to see subtask completion status from outside the task, although subtasks can now be used in dashboards on the reporting tab so there could be some way to use that to help.

1 Like

Thanks Samuel, that helps to know.

@Johannes_Chun @Samuel_Ewart

If an add-on is an option, I suggest looking at the Analytics & Reports by Screenful which allows rolling up values from subtasks. Here’s an example Table chart with rolled up values displaying a progress bar for the completion status of subtasks:

You can learn more about that feature from this guide and you can give a try with your own data by starting a free trial.

Related: Subtask Progress Indicator & Bar - #40 by Raffaella

Related but neither has been implemented; Subtask Progress Indicator & Bar - #40 by Raffaella

If only Asana had some kind of feature roadmaping view, tool, or application for displaying top feature requests or reporting that they could share with potential customers and increase transparency and visibility. That would be really swell. Maybe some kind of project management tool.

Hi team,

I want to emphasize the criticality and urgency of implementing a task progress bar feature in our system.

1. Efficiency and Quick Decision Making: In our fast-paced environment, we often find ourselves pressed for time, especially during meeting reviews. A task progress bar will provide an immediate visual representation of how tasks are progressing. This visual cue will allow us to quickly identify tasks that are lagging behind and those that are nearing completion. It’s a swift, intuitive way to understand the status without having to dive deep into subtasks or rely on manual updates.
  2. Reduced Manual Effort: The current method of using a status progress dropdown is not only cumbersome but also inefficient. It requires manual updates, which are prone to stay in progress for long time. Furthermore, for tasks with numerous subtasks, it becomes increasingly challenging and time-consuming to gauge the overall progress. A progress bar eliminates these challenges by offering a consolidated view of the task’s status.
  3. Enhanced Collaboration and Accountability: With a clear visual representation of task progress, team members can have more informed discussions during meetings. It fosters transparency, encourages proactive communication, and ensures that everyone is on the same page. Additionally, by having a transparent view of task progress, it promotes accountability as team members are more likely to take ownership of their tasks and ensure timely completion.

Given the above reasons, I strongly believe that introducing a task progress bar feature is not just a convenience but a necessity. It will significantly streamline our workflow, enhance collaboration, and ultimately drive better results. I kindly request prioritizing this feature and look forward to its swift implementation.

Thank you for considering this suggestion.

2 Likes