The ability to show subtask in the timeline

In our setup, we have a task defined as a PCB design. Then we use subtasks to break this up between the different assignments to get the final PCB design done, i.e. Schematic, Mechanical Layout, PCB Layout, Quote request etc. Since each of these levels is performed by a different department, having the time line only show the Task level assignment is useless. We would like to assign a set amount of time for the task, but then break it up into the various subtasks. On the timeline, be able to double click the task and it opens all the subtasks onto the timeline as well.

2 Likes

Hey @Kirk_Jess welcome to the community :wave:

A workaround in the meantime would be adding the subtasks also to the project as it is also explained in this thread: https://forum.asana.com/t/sub-tasks-in-timeline/117604/2?u=andrea_mayer

The only downside is that it would not show directly under the parent task in the timeline view.

In the meantime I recommend to upvote here: Timeline - Schedule Subtasks

@Rebecca_McGrath I think this thread can actually be merged into the other one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Andrea_Mayer

Thank you for the response. My question, that thread has been open for over 3 years and this functionality still doesn’t exist. Is it even on the software roadmap?

1 Like

Hey @Kirk_Jess
good question :slight_smile:
Maybe @Rebecca_McGrath can give more insight here :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, @Kirk_Jess! :slight_smile: This is a very popular request in the forum, and our product team is closely following this thread. We have recently implemented the option to see subtasks in Board view and we’ll make sure to update the thread as soon as we have news for Timeline view!

2 Likes

There is a list of workarounds, including this case, in 🔥 Hottest feature requests and their workarounds

2 Likes

The day Asana does this is the day I go from being one of your biggest critics to biggest advocates. :pray:

Update: Little late updating this, but it’s finally here. Now if we can just get them (or their estimates) to get calculated in the workload view…:eyes:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.