Show all tasks and projects in one view

Would be great if there was a view that included BOTH projects AND tasks/subtasks.

Use case: managing a queue of work that is both tasks and projects (depending on the number of collaborators)

Potential implementation:

• add an option to show tasks under each project in the portfolio view

Another use case: Would also be great if I could manage my own individual queue by seeing all of my tasks/subtasks and projects in one place

Potential implementation: Add an option to include subtasks and projects in what is currently called the"My Tasks" tab

Hi @jtiptonk

There is a default CF for Projects that will show which project ever task belongs to. You can use that to see all the tasks and which projects.

In Portfolio, you can hover to see the number of tasks in the project.

tasks in portfolio

That would be in your My Tasks

Yes “My Tasks” is useful, however you can not view subtasks of tasks directly in this list. Would be great if subtasks were nested directly in the “My Tasks” list so that I can see everything at once, vs. clicking on individual tasks to pop out the sidebar to view the subtasks.

1 Like

This doesn’t quite solve for my use case:

1. all of my team’s requests come in as tasks, which are sorted within a project queue
  2. any tasks that have a single owner get assigned
  3. any tasks that have multiple owners get converted into projects—the problem here is that this removes the task from the queue.
    I would like a way to view all in-flight tasks and projects in a single queue.

Maybe we should be doing this differently? Should EVERYTHING be a project and put into a portfolio?

subtasks are shown

Tasks cannot have more than one owner so I am not following. They can have numerous collaborators.

If by all, you mean across all of Asana regardless if they are assigned to you or not then use the saved search for Tasks I have Created → Refine that search to remove your name, then save the search again.

OR create a project called All Tasks, then a rule in every project that states when a task is added to this project, also add to All Tasks.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 3.44.29 PM

It looks like there is already another thread about the nesting, but to illustrate, something like this is what I’m looking for:

in My Tasks, use board mode.

Yeah that is closer to what I’m after.
Is there a setting to have the subtasks expanded by default?
Still would like this functionality within the list view as well.

Is there an equivalent that shows tasks and projects together? Still seems like the one big piece that’s missing.

1 Like

Tasks cannot have more than one owner so I am not following. They can have numerous collaborators.

Correct, thats why a task that requires multiple owners, gets converted into a project. As suggested by Asana.

If by all, you mean across all of Asana regardless if they are assigned to you or not then use the saved search for Tasks I have Created → Refine that search to remove your name, then save the search again.

Yes across all of Asana, wether or not it was created by me. As a team producer, I would need to keep track of ALL of the team’s incoming requests and in-flight projects/tasks.

OR create a project called All Tasks, then a rule in every project that states when a task is added to this project, also add to All Tasks.

Yes, as I said, all of our incoming requests from our intake form go to a project which we use as a queue (or “All Tasks”). Creating a rule to get tasks within a project to appear in “All Tasks” is fine, but then all of those tasks are just loose within the list, rather than being nicely nested under a project within the list itself if that makes sense.

No, but others have asked for it.

Not as a default that I know of, but should be. You’ll have to add all tasks to another project.

@lpb do you know of a way?

True as a task can be in multiple projects, this would be hard to do.

You can set a rule in that All project to move to a section if a CF value is set to something, but nothing I know by default.

What we have done for ATT is push this all out to Power BI where we can manipulate all data points. There is a base level connection here if that works for you, or you can have something custom done. Basically we used the APIs for both to pull and push the data.

There isn’t a native hierarchical view in Asana as @jtiptonk requests, of course.

Use of advanced search reports may offer an alternative (not hierarchical) that could aggregate the content across projects. The same could be limited to tasks assigned to you for the “My Tasks” version.

Multi-homing and the using list view in that project would enable the closest thing to the mockups, I’d say.

There may be a third party app that offers a more hierarchical view but I can’t recall which.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks @jtiptonk for providing this feedback and thanks to @Getz_Pro and @lpb for jumping in with some workarounds!

While it’s not possible to view all Projects and tasks in the same view at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great to hear, thank you!

Has there been any movement on this? We are really struggling with needing the ability to track projects and tasks in the same view (some tasks aren’t big enough to be their own projects, but are equally important from a status tracking perspective).

Following this thread, as I need this ability too.
When I view the List view of a project, there is a drop down to expand to see the subtasks…If on that particular project, I want that to be expanded by default, I fail to see why that could not be achieved by clicking the “Save Layout as Default” item on the top right of project page. That would only seem to make sense, as that is one of most critical Layout items to want to have a default, or not!?
Please help, and/or offer a timeline as to when this will be implemented if already in progress. I have a larger team to answer to. Thank you.

+1

+1