Drop Down option for second level of Subtasks on List

Love the new arrow drop down view! I think it would be even more beneficial to have sub-drop downs on sub-tasks, as well (if you have the task brought up on the right-hand side of the screen)!

3 Likes

Hi @Teddi :wave: Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us!

Just to be sure I have understood your feedback: are you referring to the possibility to have a drop down option to display the second level of subtasks?

Looking forward to your reply!

6 Likes

Yes, exactly!

1 Like

Yes, I agree with Teddi… something like this is needed.

I sent a suggestion awhile back about using levels as the current view. Meaning, you have a Parent Level, which is what we are used to seeing in the task list. But then instead of the dropdowns (which I do like, and would love to keep) on each level, doing a level shift. For example: And this may be hard to grasp using words!

The interface could have level buttons (based on how many subtask levels are in the current project.

[<] [>] [PL] [L1] [L2] [L3]

[PL] is the Parent Level (the level we are used to seeing in the task list)

When I press [L1], the PL level shifts to the left, revealing the subtasks at Level 1. This presents them the same way the tasks are presented at the parent level. Same functionality. Once I’m done, I can hit the [PL] to go back to the parent level. Of if need be, I can go deeper by hitting one of the other subtask levels [L2], [L3], on and on. The [<] and [>] are just ways of drilling down, without having to have all the [L1]…[L9], etc… So you can maybe do the first 3 levels, and if people want to go further, they can use the arrows.

1 Like

FYI this feature is known as hoisting - it was available in many of the outliners of the past, including ThinkTank, MORE, and Grandview.

3 Likes

+1

Great to see Subtasks in the listview. Will it be possible to also see subsub Tasks, subsubsub-Tasks in the listview in the Future, that would be great.

Also great would be, if Subtasks in Generell would be display in the Timeline.

Best regards and thanks for any feedback.
Florian

5 Likes

HI @_Flo and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

There is an existing thread in the Forum regarding this topic so I’m merging your post with it to consolidate feedback! I hope it’s OK! Please don’t forget to cast your vote by clicking in the Vote button next to the title!

Have a great day!

I love the new feature to allow expanding subtasks in the list view - is there a way to also expand subtasks of THOSE subtasks in the list view? Sometimes I have 3-4 levels of subtasks and it would be awesome to be able to view them all without having to go into each one individually.

8 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Misti_Colcleaser and thank you for reaching out! :wave:t5:

As it stands, it is just possible to expand the first level of subtask. There is already a request regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate feedback. Please don’t forget to upvote it!

Have a nice week @Misti_Colcleaser :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just wanted to also express my love for seeing subtasks in the task list! :heart:

1 Like

I’m actually a little bummed because if I sort by alphabetical, the drop-downs go away. I love them and hope they add this feature to all sorting options!

2 Likes

Hi there,

Whatever happened to the arrow drop down view!?!? Is it gone with the new updates? I’m terrified! Please help!!

Hi @Simeon and welcome to the forum!

Are you referring to the triangle graphic that lets you expand and see the first level of subtasks in a project’s list view? If so, and you’re not seeing it, then you probably have your list view sorted. You can only see subtasks in the list view if there is no sort in effect for it.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Second level of subtask indicator in Subtask

I would love to be able to expand not just the first tier of subtasks in List View.

Hi @Pamela_Harasyn, thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We already have a thread on this feature so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Drop Down option for second level of Subtasks on List to centralize feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks for merging these, Emily. Do you know if this is in the works? Do you plan a fancy rollout planned that would include this feature?

Currently, it is possible to collapse and expand top-level tasks to display their corresponding subtasks.
For me it would be a great advantage to be able to expand subtasks, and their subtasks and so. The possibility to display the whole hierarchy in one tree would be much clearer in my opinion as opposed to clicking on one subtask’s ‘details’ to see it’s subtasks.

I hope my request is clear and wonder if people agree with me. Please let me know if this request is a duplicate.

Thanks for your feedback, @anon11082991! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Drop Down option for second level of Subtasks on List to consolidate feedback!