Drop Down option for second level of Subtasks on List

Any update on this? Seems to be a pretty basic feature. I have Themes, Epics, Stories, Tasks, and it is impossible to see with only one level.

3 Likes

Hello any updates ? Iā€™m looking forward :slight_smile:

+1 on this! Itā€™s very annoying having to enter the subtask to see the subsubtasks under it. Please implement this one :pray:t2::pray:t2:

Hello!

on the list view it is possible to collapse /expand the subtasks within a task, but this is not longer an option with subtasks within a subtask.

To track the set up of our campaigns i have a task for each campaign, with subtasks with the different steps of the process and a set of subtasks within each step with everything that involves this action. It is pretty annoying having to enter on the subtask to see the set of subtasks within, so at the end i have to opt for not having a second layer of subtasks but only one, to avoid navigation, which results in an endless long of subtasks within the task. Any chance this could be implemented?

Sorry if this question is already asked, I tried to search but I did not find it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello @Mai_SB, welcome to the community :tada:

Have a look here: Feature Request: Collapsible Sub-tasks
this seems to be what you are looking for as Chase also mentions ā€ž they too should be collapsibleā€œ?

And I recommend to upvote here too: Ability to expand/contract all subtasks in task list at once

And here are also more links to threads related to subtasks.

Does that help?

1 Like

Thanks @Andrea_Mayer ! I think indeed he means the same even if itā€™s not 100% clear because he mentioned a couple of different things, but I have upvoted him just in case :blush: thanks for the help!

1 Like

@Andrea_Mayer i have been browsing through one of the threads you provided and have found a feature request for exactly this :partying_face:: Drop Down option for second level of Subtasks on List - #22 by JavierHSAP

1 Like

Perfect yes exactly

@Rebecca_McGrath you might wanna merge this and the other one into the thread about the same topic that has the most votes so far.

3 Likes

@Mai_SB As a rule of thumb try to avoid subtasks inside subtasks as much as possible. I donā€™t know the entire setup you have but my feeling is that each campaign you mention could benefit from being a project on its ownā€¦ Donā€™t be afraid to have too many projects, be afraid to have too many levels of subtasks.

2 Likes

thanks @Bastien_Siebman for the input! All these campaigns are already projects of their own where multiple teams work in. The above mentioned tasks per campaign with sub-tasks and sub-sub-tasks are part of a project for my dept to be able to track progress of all projects in a centralised way. I go marking sub-tasks and sub-subtasks as completed as things are getting done, this allows me to know at a quick glance which steps have been accomplished and where we are at on the set up process of each campaign :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mai_SB did they ever get that function completed to view subtasks of a subtask with an expansion button in the list view like your question above is? I am running into the same issue here with my Asana board. Thanks

Hi @Wayne_Gabriel unfortunately this feature is not implemented yet but I suggest you vote on the top of this thread to show your support for this idea and hopefully in the future they will consider it :slight_smile:

It got merged into this thread, but I feel it deserves to be pulled out separate,

what about Subtasks able to be viewed in Timeline view - as mentioned by _Flow above.

Having the timeline view for subtasks would allow for easier date movement and dependency setting.

Hi, bumping here as well.

Iā€™m working now on a report that need task status for sub / sub / tasks, as they are inherited from other projects.

Itā€™s been quite a while since people have posted about this, and Iā€™d like to throw my hat in the ring and say how much I want to see this feature. Any updates from the Asana team?

Hello, new Asana user here and we definitely need the ability to view subtasksā€™ subtasks and all levels for optimal experience. When will this feature be available?

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Carol_Ganley!

Asana does not have a public roadmap so unfortunately we cannot tell if/when this might be implemented. However they always monitor all feedback request threads and total views and votes of each.

Can you add a feature that enables us to expand sub-subtasks. I can expand a parent task to view subtasks, but I canā€™t expand subtasks to view sub-subtasks

2 Likes

Seconding this request. Or if you donā€™t make actively expandable in the list, at least add the subtask icon to all subtasks (subsubtasks, etc) that have any subtasks nestled in them? Just to differentiate for the user that thereā€™s more to investigate here.

And a broader question since this thread is specific to list view: is there any Asana view that allows you to see parent task, subtasks, and anything beneath them (subsubtasks, subsubsubtasks, etc). Guessing this could be manually set up to be visible in the new Gantt view, but wondering if thereā€™s any view that shows it all by default.