Share a project publicly - Read only

Hello Everyone !

I would like to be able to share a project publicly via a link : people can see and read what’s inside without creating an account. And creating an account doesn’t give them access to the project.

Is it something possible with Asana ?
Thanks ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @Martin_Ronfort and welcome to the forum!

At this stage, your best bet is to leverage the export functions within Asana or the Google Sheet Integration.

There isn’t a way to publicly share information with those that aren’t members of a team or project, at this time.

2 Likes

I was wondering if I should not code this. I did a prototype and it works. @Martin_Ronfort what design would you expect? The Asana design? A custom design?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply guys ! Would be great if you can code it @Bastien_Siebman !

I don’t expect any custom design, the Asana design would be great.

My goal is to create project in Asana → Show the available project to freelancer so they get all the info and they know what I need. It’s read only, they can not modify anything.

Then once I hire them, they create an Asana account and we use default asana features to handle project management :slight_smile:

If we can make it, and if I can request something …
It would be ideal to hide section : in a public project, I can choose to “show all”, or hide some section available only for registered users.
→ it will allow to share the link publicly, and freelancer only see the available project. When I hire someone, I move the task to a “In progress” section hidden from the public (so people doesn’t know what we are working on, they don’t need to)

I might ask too much but it would be ideal :smiley:

Thanks for the consideration guys,
Martin

1 Like

@Martin_Ronfort,

In addition to the workarounds @LEGGO suggests, and the potential for @Bastien_Siebman’s work, you may want to consider Asana2Go which is free to most and helps you work with those not using Asana. You can select exactly the tasks/sections to share.

Larry

@Martin_Ronfort I’ll reach out in private message to explain my solution.

I have a working solution! Check out my demo page

The content is pulled from a real Asana project, synced on demand, and the design is 100% customizable. You can display any information you need on tasks (name, date, completion, notes, custom fields…) Anyone interested?

4 Likes

raises hand I’m interested! Can you send me details?

I would also love to have this feature. I would like to share a project with our clients as a lead magnet. Get people using the project to help them build their business system and then who knows if they like it then they sign up with Asana too. I am unable to do this so I have to now build this in Trello, so Trello will get the new customers rather than Asana. I’d really like this feature to be considered please.

1 Like

I would love to also receive this type of solution to showcase boards with images to a non asana members.
Or to a free asana members (with them to be counted as a “seat” in my account)

fix (without them to be counted as a “seat” in my account)

I thought I saw this this was a newly implemented feature?

It is - good call!

Details are here:

1 Like

@anon19591475,

The entire project is not available, only the Timeline view, eventually the Calendar view, no promise yet for anything more. And only for Public projects.

And I noticed helpful controls appropriate for read-only use (e. g., Sort) is not included. And the link view seems to use a view with defaults that matched neither the current defaults or the ones in effect at the time the link was created.

So this represents a partial solution, at least.

Larry

1 Like

I would love to know about this please

1 Like

I am a long time user of Asana. This is my new account as my old forum ID was linked to a previous employer.

I am trying to set my new company up with Asana. We have 20+ CSRs that I manage and a host of external vendors that I directly manage. I swear that this was possible in the past, but I’m trying to do exactly what this thread is focused on: send a project link to external vendors so they can see the list of tasks, so they know what the orders are per week. All they need to see is the task name, the custom fields (quantity, priority, CSR’s name, etc) and ideally see the description. Right now, we do this with a spreadsheet but i’m trying to ween the company off sheets and do the work in Asana so we can more effectively collaborate.

I’ve tested the share link setting that was rolled out this year but when I do, i do not see any custom fields. When i click into the task, the description requires an account to view.

I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat, needing to have a project where work is done but a need to share with one external vendor so they can see a list of tasks that gives them direction.

1 Like

I am really surprised by this… But yes indeed custom fields are not part of the shared view.

…and just like that, i’ve gone from getting the company of 100 employees excited about transitioning to an Asana environment, but this will be a deal breaker. We work with manufacturers who are barely in the 20th century and if we’re lucky, see 1 out of 5 emails we send or a shared sheet. This would’ve been an ideal solution, but if shared view can’t see fields then what is the point?

Share progress overall?

Sharing overall progress is communicated by the custom fields. The share view only has task name, date and assignee, which is not helpful to the client to know what progress is.

1 Like