See a list of tags?

17 posts were split to a new topic: Tagsana integrationz

This is soooooo pretty! Thank you for taking the time to put it together! Was looking for a solution to a client request and bam, there you were. Thank you!

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman Holy Cow…I have been in Asana for just a few months and you keep coming to my rescue before I even know what I need! This is beautiful!

2 Likes

At your service, my lady :sweat_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am replying on Monday, December 30, 2019. When Asana was younger, it gave better support for tags by providing a tag list accessible via the left sidebar. Then, at some point years ago, someone at Asana decided that tags were better replaced by projects. For instance, rather than having a tag for Priority, you should have a project of high priority tasks. This was about the same time that adding custom fields became an added value feature available only to paying subscribers. My advice is to abandon tagging and create projects that serve the same purpose, or else pay up and use Custom Fields.

For myself, I am a solo act and would gladly pay a reasonable fee, but I doubt that I will ever be able to marshal a team of five or more colleagues because, like me, the people I work with are established and already have their preferred collaboration and PM systems in place.

1 Like

I don’t want to get off-topic from this thread but FYI there may be hope for you:

1 Like

I would really like to use colored text to make a list of tags used by color within a notes section that I’ve created in Asana. I look forward to having colored text in descriptions

1 Like

Hello - Definitely want to try this. Solo act here, needing to share a seat or two for a few week sor so at a time, then move on to the next.

Hi @Juliana_Bolden and welcome to the forum!

I don’t work for Asana so I don’t have any influence on their pricing decisions.

FYI they’ve stated that at present it’s not possible for someone to opt in to participate in their less-than-5-user test, so you’ll have to wait to see if they end up offering it as a general subscription option.

Is there any way to reorganize tags other than chronologically based on the date they were created?

sure!

Hi, this seems obvious so sorry if I am duplicating a request, but I can’t find anything in the forum about this…

I would like to be able to see all tags available when first clicking in the “Tags” field. I think this is an expected behavior I have been used too from other tools, including some key integrations with Asana like Jira, etc. Without this, if you are not aware of which tags are available, it’s easy to duplicate tags, especially as there are no admin controls I’m aware of on who can create tags.

Thanks and hoping for implementation of this!

1 Like

Hi @OT160, this is currently not possible in Asana, but I’d recommend using Tagsana, which was developed by @Bastien_Siebman. We already have a thread on this topic, so in order to gather all feedback in one place, I’ve merged your post with See a list of tags?!

Let me know id there is anything else I can help with!

1 Like

Hi @Marie,

Thank you for the response. This looks like a big issue among the Asana community, but I’d like to add my 2 cents as well.

Just came into Asana from years of experimentation and using other related Work Management apps, and some things surprise me about the way tags and custom fields work. If you could suggest any ways I could work within the confines of the Asana implementation, I’d appreciate it, as right now it’s pretty confusing:

• Tags: My main use of tags is to categorize tasks in Asana I will be using as “issue types” or “entities,” and not tasks. So “bugs,” “meetings,” “Company,” etc. That is how I have used tags in other work mgmt apps that also call the basic “record” a task. I’m talking about apps like Clickup, Wrike, Hive, etc. Since you guys are very flexible, per many suggestions I see around Asana, I intend to use tasks as much more than just tasks, and the best way to categorize these “task types” I think is with Tags, not Custom Fields.

***Incidentally I think it would be great if you could require the completion of either tag or Custom Fields when creating a task as a way to insure standardization - I’ve seen this request too and I second it!

As far as Custom Fields, they have a good use and give Asana some good “nocode” functionality, so very glad to see them in use.

What is perplexing me between these two types is this:

• You can really get a terrific native report from Tags by just clicking them. The screen that comes up, which you can change views in from list to calendar, and all the other info is terrific. It is really a shame you can’t do that with Custom Fields. Do you plan to introduce that ability for Custom Fields too?

• The lack of visibility into tags is something I don’t understand. In a Custom Field, I can click into the field with my cursor/mouse and I see all the available fields. Why should I not be able to do this with tags? I’m afraid it will almost make them useless as nobody on my team can know what tags are there without first typing a letter and hoping something comes up, unless the go to the trouble of memorizing all tags in the system! That seems a ridiculous ask.

So you have tags with great reporting capability, but some very odd UX behavior since you can’t see a list of them all, nor can you see which ones are available when working in a task - and to this latter point, I have never seen any other work management app that approaches tags in a way to block their visibility like this. But, Custom Fields, which do have the ability to be seen across Asana, don’t have the great intuitive reporting you get by just clicking on a tag.

I would really like to find out your guys’ thoughts on this and reasoning behind this set-up - perhaps I’ve missed something. But for now this is probably on the top of my list for the most illogical feature implementation in Asana - granted, it’s also one of the few on my list, as Asana is very well thought-out for the most part!

Thanks again!

5 Likes

I have tried this, and it doesn’t seem to be possible.

I need to change the color of many of our tags

WTF. Why the hell do you blatantly refusal to implement a feature demanded by a HUGE number of users? This abuse of our needs makes us want to run away from you to use other products ASAP. Your management is really faulty.

1 Like

Hi @Dan13,

I expect @Marie will likely reply, and while I totally get your frustration - there have been plenty of times I’ve desperately wanted something implemented in a piece of software and it hasn’t happened - I did want to comment in terms of setting proper expectations…

There are 38 votes for this feature. There are roughly 4.4 million Asana users in their user base. So in terms of the overall context of how they are weighing what to work on, 38 is not much of their overall users, even if you assume some number of people who also want this feature but are not voting for it here. Even in terms of the items being voted on here in the forum, this item is quite far down the list compared to other requests. (FYI you can see that ranking here.)

1 Like

Thanks @Phil_Seeman!

@Dan13, I’m sorry to hear you’re considering to leave us. While we’d love to action all the features requested by our community, with millions of users across the world and over 4k request in the #productfeedback category of our Forum, we can’t possibly action all requests and have to make some important choices. I don’t have an update on this topic at the moment, but I can ensure you that this something our team will consider for a future Tag update. I’ll keep you posted here and in the announcements category as soon as I have an update.

I second ALL of this! @OT160 has excellent points and Asana really needs to prioritize how to address these tag and custom field inadequacies!

Now THIS is what I’m talking about! Works brilliantly! Thank you @Bastien_Siebman