[Rules] Assign task to the Requestor (task creator) when moved to Ready for Review column

I would like to assign a task to a custom field called Requestor when the task is moved to Ready for Review column. Is this possible?

I see that I can create a rule but I have to choose the assignee but in this case the assignee could be different per task because it will be the requestor of the task.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community Forum @anon79402566!

You are right, you can setup a rule so every time you move the task to the Ready for Review column, the custom field is automatically updated to “Requestor”.

It’s currently not possible to create a rule that identifies the task creator (or requestor) and assign the task automatically to the specific user. You’ll need to select a specific assignee for your rule.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 11.31.40

I think this is a great request and I’ve gone ahead and moved your thread to the product feedback category to allow users to upvote. I hope you don’t mind!

4 Likes

Similar but slightly different, allow the rule “Task moved to a certain section → Assign task” to dynamically assign it to whoever moved it to that section.

8 Likes

I would LOVE this feature to be implemented. I know in most of the Asana promotional content the use case is that each user in a project team is assigned to one specific role/function in the project, meaning that assigning a task to a different user based on what stage (section) of the project the task is currently in makes sense.

However, my project teams are often groups of people who share the same job functions but own tasks relating to different clients within the same project. We have arrived at a workaround where we use a single-select custom field with the client/account name and use that to automate the assignee, but this is not always a foolproof solution and adds another step for any task creator. This workaround also doesn’t integrate well with task templates as users still have to manually fill in the custom field. I suppose we could create a different task template for each account, but that makes things needlessly complicated.

#product-feedback usecases rules automation tasks assign-tasks assignee

Following up on this topic, allowing rules to automatically assign a task to its creator seems very much in line with Asana’s theory of work; tasks get completed when everyone knows who is doing what by when. Defaulting to no assignee during task creation unless a specific value is entered is at odds with Asana’s MO.

We already have task templates which autofill task details (what), and rules which automate task due dates (when), but the who features lag behind - in my view, we should encourage users to assume responsibility for the completion of tasks they have created (outside of My Tasks) as a default unless they assign it to someone else.

1 Like

I have been looking for that very feature for a while.
It would be very useful and would for sure avoid a lot of extra manual (and unnecessary work).
Right now, our workaround is to trigger an automatic comment to our PM team and have them assign to the correct team member (the person who created the task / project).
So yeah, it would be wonderful if Asana could recognise the task / project creator and assign automatically to this person.
The rule could be something like:

Trigger: [Whatever we want]
Action: Assign to [project creator]

1 Like

@Emily_Roman sorry to keep pinging this thread, but is there an existing explanation from the product or dev teams about why the default assignee = null across Asana unless the user enters a specific assignee?

I know the default when creating new tasks in My Tasks is assignee = creator/user, and it seems to me that is more in line with Asana’s philosophy than ever having a task which isn’t assigned to anyone.

this would be particularly useful for Board view Projects where a submitter/creator is responsible for ensuring the completion of a task - maybe even make it an option in project or task templates? instead of defaulting assigning new tasks to either nobody or a certain user, allow a selection at the project (or task template) level to assign new tasks to creator as the default for that template.

This is similar to the topic discussed here which was closed around this time last year.

1 Like

Hi @anon79402566 @Matt_McKeithen @Alison_Palmer @Matthieu_E (and any one else who is interested), my name is Michelle, and I’m the PM at Asana for Rules. I’d love to hear more about your feedback around this feature request; if you are interested, could you reach out to me at michellekim@asana.com, and I’ll schedule some time for us to chat?

Thank you!

3 Likes

This is an excellent feature and takes my +1 vote too.

FYI this capability is available as a rule action in our Flowsana integration - you can select to assign a task to a value in a designated custom field. This is what it looks like to build this rule action:

2 Likes

Yes! This version would be incredibly helpful to my team.

It’s been three years. Do you have this figured out yet? It would be very helpful.

1 Like

Adding my vote for this feature

2 Likes

+1 to add this as a basic feature, addons or plugins like Flowsana are not allowed in every company. This is a very basic feature and should be available for everybody.