Recurring Tasks on My Tasks Page moving to a different section

Recently, when I have been marking a recurring task as complete, the “new” task with a future due date pops up in a different section. I don’t remember this being an issue before.

Once I figured out this was happening, I created a few test tasks to watch it happen in real time. I have 8 sections on the My Tasks page, and I’m finding that, no matter which section a recurring task is created in and/or “belongs” to, once a recurring task is marked as complete, the “new” task with the next due date moves to the same section, let’s call it #8.

Again, I don’t remember this happening before, but I haven’t had very many recurring tasks previously, so I can’t tell if something’s actually changed. Anyone have any ideas?

Hello @Hally_Bashor

Welcome to the Asana Forum :slight_smile:

The behaviour you have observed is the standard Asana behaviour; so yes, I can confirm it happened before.

Newly assigned tasks to you are automatically stored in the “Recently assigned” section, you might have renamed the section, but that’s the default name and it is a “special” section.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you can set-up rules to have the tasks moving automatically into other sections based on their dates for instance.

Cheers,
Rosario

In your profile settings > Hack, there is a toggle that says “Recurring tasks in last section of My Tasks”. Isn’t it what you are talking about here?

6 Likes

Aha! I think this is what I was looking for. Thank you!

Hello @Hally_Bashor,

I just activated the option “Recurring tasks in the last section of My Tasks” and what that does is create the new task in the very last section of your My Tasks, independently from which section the task was in before, and exclusively based on the position of your sections in My Tasks.

So, just for full clarity, in case anyone stumbles on this thread:

1. This is what happens with the standard behaviour.

2. If you instead activate this hack, Asana will recreate the recurring task in the section that you have placed last in My Tasks.

I am not sure if you were trying to have the task recreate in the same section where it was before completion. To my knowledge, there is no function to have the recurring task recreate in the same section, unless that is the last section, of course, in which case the hack mentioned will do the job.

Cheers,
Rosario

1 Like

I have the same problem and it is a weekly frustration!
I have hundred of task and I really need Asana to renew my recurrent task in the “last section the task was in before completion” and NOT in recently assign NOR the last section(bottom of the page)

Can Asana fix this very frustrting problem?

it is as fustrating as the amount of recurring task that you have to move back again and again to their appropriate section!!

in my opinion it should come by default, but please at least give us the option with a tick box in the hack menu

1 Like

Can you explain why? You keep in your top sections things due in the future? thanks :slight_smile:

I came across this thread because I’ve started dividing my tasks by scope, as suggested in the Asana 20-day Productivity Challenge. I’m including a screenshot of the relevant example.

In the example, there’s a task in the “Respond” section for “Show someone appreciation today”. It’d be pretty common to want that task to recur daily, and to want it to reappear in the “Respond” category.

Now, you could fudge this case by considering it an “Admin” task, rather than a “Respond” one, since “Admin” is the top section (and lots of its tasks would also often recur daily).

But if “create agenda for sprint planning meeting” (biweekly recurrance) or “read company blog to stay in the loop” (every Friday) also had to move up to “Admin” rather than stay in “Create” and “Read”… we’re losing the purpose of the organization style.

FWIW, I half-fixed this by creating a custom drop-down field, with an array of selections that matched my sections, and (…manually, since I couldn’t find a “copy to new rule”) created two rules for each section: 1) when the field is changed to a given value, move to the matching section, and 2) when the task moves to a given section, change the field to the matching value.

This… doesn’t actually cause it to move to the correct section when it recreates itself, but it at least leaves a trail of breadcrumbs and reduces the number of clicks required to correct it

1 Like

(I’m not Alexis, but this would be my explanation of why a reasonable person would want a recurring task to reappear in the “last section that the task was in before completion”. Like, if it was in Create, I want it reappear in Create)

1 Like

It’d be really really useful (for more reasons than this) for rules to have an “if” as well as a “trigger”. Like, creating the ticket doesn’t appear to count as changing the field, so the rule in this screenshot doesn’t work… but it’d be lovely to be able to go “when (added to my tasks), if (field value = Personal), move to section(“Personal”)”.

It’s a little frustrating that the triggers have the concept of the “if” (that is, the action only executes when the field matches the value), but, unless I’m completely missing something, there’s no way to add that “if” to an unrelated trigger…?

I enabled the hack and got rid of the “Done” Section and the rules that moved them there, since it would reappear in that section. However, now they just don’t reappear whenever the hack is on. I can set it to repeat daily, click it, and then it’s just gone. I had to turn the hack back off so that my recurring events would actually reappear.

Wanted to update - I ended up finding them all in the last column of my tasks - not a done section as that was deleted. They ended up in a different column all together that they had no relation to…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.