Private Project Deletion Warning

I see that at times Admins have asked about access to Private Projects within Teams. I can definitely agree that we don’t need access to the content of those projects, but it could be very helpful if Admins can see that Private Projects exist before they make changes.

My example is that I’ve been asked by the Team Owner to delete a Team that is no longer active. As an Admin, this is something I’m asked to do occasionally. I was unable to see that there was an active Private Project inside of the Team that the Team Owner wasn’t part of. After deleting the Team, the Private Project was lost and neither I nor the Team Owner knew it was even there.

I can see two possible solutions but I’m sure there are others:

1. Allow Admins to see the names of Private Projects inside of the Teams but not access the content.
  2. Warn the user when deleting a Team that there are Private Projects inside the Team if they exist.

I see two earlier topics on this but I haven’t seen a fix recommended yet from Asana.

Thanks for your consideration!

1 Like

Hi @Charles_Haynie, thanks for providing this feedback!

While this feature isn’t available right now, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future. I can see how this would be helpful for Admins.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I appreciate you passing it along Rebecca, I’d be curious how often they have to do what we did and have a help desk person recover the data after the fact. If that happens often enough then this would be worth it to save help desk time. I know they added the “Super Admin” role a while back and this feels like a good enhancement for that level.
Thanks!

3 Likes

This is an issue within our organization as well. We would greatly benefit with having access to a list of private projects in order to ensure we do not accidentally change a custom field or break any rules because we simply do not have visibility that it exists. I hope this is an update that will be implemented in the near future.

2 Likes

@Rebecca_McGrath
So a year later and this request doesn’t seem to have taken hold.

I full agree with restricting access to private projects, but not even giving owner administrators the ability to see what exists is absolutely reductive and counter to pretty much every organizations needs, big or small.

The situation described by @Charles_Haynie shouldn’t be viewed as a feature request. This is an untenable situation. It neuters admins ability to be the protectors and care takers of organizational data. The negative impact of this is compounded by us having no way to know its deleted, no way to back this type of data up “just in case” and no way to recover it by the time we realize it might have happened.

Just give us a Tab in the admin console under ‘Teams’ that enumerates a list of all projects and indicates their location and permission level.

It doesn’t need to be interactive.

Can you give us some sense of how ASANA is viewing this issue currently?

2 Likes

I am not sure why this was not implemented yet. As admins, you should be able to manage all projects in your organization.