Now rolling out to Asana users — Rules

How can we order the rules so one is applied before another one? Will it be possible in the future to have more than one trigger for a rule (ex: if A is true and B is true then action)

Super exciting! BTW @Marie, how come I’m still not able to toggle between list and board view regardless of how it was originally created?

3 Likes

We first need some work to improve how subtask behave in Asana, but I’m confident this is something we will bring up in the future! I personally heavily rely on subtasks for my work at Asana and being ale to set rules for them would revolutionise some of my workflow! I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this topic!

5 Likes

That’s not possible at the moment, all rules are running independently.

And to answer your questions, yes! We’re already looking into the next version of Rules and what combination could be useful, however this might take another while to come out!

1 Like

This is an extremely complex rollout which involves migrating hundred of thousand project from an old to a new data model. Our team is making good progress, but it will take a couple of months before we fully get there. You can learn more about this topic in Why can't I but my friend can switch between board & list - #2 by Phil_Seeman Hope this helps!

1 Like

HI @EdgarArana,

We don’t have yet a video yet, but we will in the next couple of weeks! And we will also hold a Webinar to get you started with Rules, so keep an eye out for the announcement and all details (including registering instructions)!

1 Like

Ok thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to see the continued investment in the platform and will be epic once it supports subtasks eg. When new task created ADD xyz subtasks etc. Could this be the first step towards conditional logic for Asana, which we currently rely on Process.St to fill this gap?

1 Like

Hi @Tim_Farr - FYI this ability is available in Flowsana’s If-Then Rules right now.

3 Likes

I’m a relative beginner at Asana. What is {CF}?

1 Like

@Harriet_Bograd, Good catch; that’s not so clear. It stands for Custom Fields, a feature of any paid Asana plan:

Larry

1 Like

Just tried it, but unfortunately for Premium users it is quite limited in functionality. It offers a whole bunch of rules based on our customer fields but 99% make no sense. Unfortunately the custom ones and the 1% that make sense are for Business only.

Very disappointing in what we get for our money, otherwise very useful feature, that will for sure save a lot of time. That is if you are on Business ofcourse…

3 posts were split to a new topic: “Move to a specific column” Rule isn’t available with old sections

Hi. Can you please clarify. Can we use the change in a custom field as a trigger?

2 Likes

@Tim_Jasper, Yes you can, as specified in the first post in this thread. For Premium, the actions for custom field changes are limited to marking complete and moving to another section/column. For Business, any available actions can be used.

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks @lpb I posted too quickly! This feature is great in view of the new board/list view switching (which I wasn’t convinced was the best implementation scenario)

Hopefully down the track we’ll be able add rules to multiple projects at the same time.

3 Likes

Wow! This was just turned on for us and we love it! I have one project in particular which is filtered by status (In Development, On Hold, Live). Some people will remember to change the status to Live, others simply complete the task, and some do both. Now, it doesn’t matter which they do, because the task will automatically go to the right section. :tada:

Best update in ages.

2 Likes

@Marie I found a bug with this. I’m trying to rule to move a completed task to a category (completed) for me. If the task is a repeating task - annual in my case - both the completed AND the new task created for next year gets moved to completed.

2 Likes

Hi @Keith_Schuster, can you please create a new thread in #tipsandtricks so we can look into this for you? Thanks!

done