New: Share projects with read-only links!

I agree with you that having control of the link would be beneficial and I only suggested the alternative of not offering that control. (I did that because it’s consistent with the general ethos of Asana–it’s generally permissive, and shuns all unnecessary settings and added options.)

Your concerns don’t mention that anyone with access to the project now can make it Public and share the link; not really secure in all your scenarios

Coupling this control of the presence of the link to Private projects is a design mistake for the reasons I indicated.

It’s fair to make that degree of control a design goal. But do something like add a checkbox for “Offer read-only link” only for the Project Owner (alongside the radio button options for Private/Public/etc.), for example.

Larry

3 Likes

Susan, the difference would be that the person you share the link with, would not need to set up an Asana account with the read-only link.

When you share a comment-only project with a non-Asana user, they must create an Asana account to access the project.

@Eileen_Hwang this is great used it for the first time this week. Had a project Timeline view that I had to make lots of people guests to so they could see it but they didn’t really need to be Asana users. This makes it so much easier…

Jason.

1 Like

Have you tried filtering with a custom field maybe? Not ideal, but might be a workaround.

Not really sure what you mean. If I create a link, there’s nothing in calendar or timeline view to filter out. If tapping any details, the slide-out is simply a “join this project to view more details”; but what I would like to do is hide an entire task from the read-only view/public link.

Why not sharing the whole project as a read only project?

1 Like

I keep refereshing but still no sign (we’re premium users). Any mor info on dates? Can those asking for it be manually updated? Thanks, Nick

This was discussed up above here - when you do that, the sharee (Is that a word? Don’t think so!) has to have an Asana account. With this new feature, they do not.

2 Likes

@Eileen_Hwang I know this is still being rolled out, but I am curious if we’ll be notified when it’s available in our workspace? Will it be automatically turned on or will we have to enable it?

Hi @anon11836725
The next time you go to a project TimeLine View or Calendar view in the top right corner you should see below;

Now if you click the Create Link you should be able to create the link straight away no other admin task to do.

First time you go to a project you should also be prompted with the Tool Tip telling you it is there…

Hope that helps…

Jason.

1 Like

Thanks, @Jason_Woods! Oddly, I’m not seeing that yet in any of the projects. I made sure it was public, and I checked Timeline and Calendar views.

Okay @anon11836725 just re read the Announcement it looks like it is rolling out slowly through May…

So you might have to just keep an eye out for it…

Jason.

2 Likes

@Eileen_Hwang - this is great and very timely news as I would like to share a project calendar for the summer with people on my internal team who do not have Asana user ids. They just need read-only access. However, I don’t see the “create a link” option as you highlighted there in my business account. Is there someone that can help me get this set up in my account?

Hi @Lara_Bollweg, this feature is currently only available to 50% of customers. We will post an update in this post as soon as available to all customers. Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

@Emily_Roman Thank you for your response. Is there any sort of workaround to be able to share this calendar with them? I was hoping to share this next week with the team. I see this is an option below in “share” - if I ask them to join the project through the link, do we get charged for them as users? I am trying to avoid that as they don’t need user access to system. Or can we use non-company email addresses to add them?

“Invite with link
People with (my company name) emails can join this project with a link. If you no longer need this link, deactivate it.”

Hi @Lara_Bollweg, if you still don’t have access to this feature, you could share the PDF version of your project calendar. To achieve this you need to select Print > Save as PDF

@Rebecca_McGrath and @Emily_Roman where does this product update currently stand? I’m not showing an ability to create these links on my accounts. Looks like this post will close before the rollout is complete?

Would like the option to show/hide description and comments trough the read link. Is that on your roadmap?

Hi @LEGGO, read-only links for Timeline and Calendar are currently available to 50% of customers. Our team is analysing feedback and results for this update and I’ll post an update once we decide to launch it to all customers. I’ve removed the settings so the thread doesn’t automatically close.

1 Like

Hi @JohanW, we don’t have immediate plans to add an option to customize the view when sharing read-only links but I recommend you creating a new thread in the #productfeedback category so other customers can also upvote!

1 Like